Wiring 2 12's and 2 caps.

mnkhunter
10+ year member

AZ
I want to wire two 8 Ohm 12s on a bridged 2 channel 1000W Amp. I know there is a way to wire them so that they are 4 Ohm, but I don't know how. That is my first problem. I also have two Capacitors to help that amp run. How do I wire them together to act as one cap? I know things are possible, but I just lack the experience to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

You want to parallel both of the subs together to get a 4 ohm load. You need to connect the + from both subs to the + from the amp. Then connect the - from both subs to the - from the amp.

The caps must be parallel too. + from the battery to the + on both caps. Then both are grounded.

Hope that helps.

Power wires from the + terminal of each cap to preferably a power distribution block, then a single wire from the block through your car , through the firewall, and to the + terminal of your battery.

The gauge wire you'll need to run depends on the total wattage of your system, but you probably already knew that. =) The bigger the better... (without TOO much excess) =)

Good luck...

Thank you both for your help. I'll need the luck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ok...to start off w/.....are the subs dual voice coil or single voice coil????

if they are dual 8ohm voice coils wire as follows....only problem is it will create a 2ohm load

spk3dvc3.gif

if they are single 8ohm voice coils...wire as follows for a 4ohm load...

impspkpr.gif

Wow! Thanks. Nice pictures. They are single voice coil. I had them hooked up for a few days and now something has happened. They were sounding really good then all of the sudden they just quit. I had the same sub and amps in another car and they did the same thing then, but it always came back if I turned it off for a few min. I figured they needed "rest" time. This time there was no coming back even after a day of "rest" time. So now all I get is a big POP when the amp first powers on and that is it. No more sound. The amp is showing a power light, subs/coils look and smell ok. I opened up the amp and nothing looked abnormal. Kinda at a loss here! Not to mention, I only have highs and mids running now. All fuses look ok. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. Did I blow my amp, my speakers, or could it be something else.

Please Help!

check the fuses on the inside of the amp....they may have blown...how did u have the gains set??? if u had them to high u may have driven the amp into clipping which could have hurt the subs and/or amp.....also make sure all the connections are good....

I checked all the connections, they look good. There are 2 fuses on the side of the amp, those look good. I didn't see any fuses inside the amp. The gain was set a little past half way. How long can I expect an amp to last. It is over 3 years old. I don't want to just go out and buy a new amp if that isn't the problem. Any trouble shooting ideas I could try, or something else? Thank you for your help

only other thing i could think of would be to get a multi meter or something that measures current and check to make sure the amp is getting power and see if there is any power being sent to the subs.....if power is being sent to the subs then its a problem w/ the subs......if no power to the subs its the amp.....good luck...u can usually get that meter at walmart or radioshack for like 10 or 20 bucks....good luck

Thanks, I was going to Wal-Mart tonight anyway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

it might be the rca cables. when i stuck my system in my jeep, i could hear the subs turn on but no sound would come out. so i changed the rca cables and it works great. its just a thought. some how my rcas went bad so its just a suggestion

hay if you subs turn off it is you amp going into protect mode because it is geting to hot!! if this continuse turn the amps power down or dont play music as loud and there is nothing you can do about you amp overheeting but get a fan blowing on it that will haelp it cool down. Anouther thing your amp has a power light that should turn green when

on and whaen it goes in to protect mode it will turn red put you hand on your amp and if it is to hot to touch it has over heated. if this is your problem check your wire for conections make shure that + is hooked to + and - is hooked to -

some amps you cant help them the overheat and you have to buy a new amp to fix this problem.

well lets see what my solution says first....i doubt its getting to hot if it turns off right after u turn the car on.....let us know whats going on man...peace

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.