“VIDEO NO SIGNAL” WHEN HEADLIGHTS ON

Dylanc2013

CarAudio.com Newbie
Okay.... Installed an aftermarket radio and amp. I have two problems: (1) when I turn the headlights on in the truck, the radio screen goes black and says "video no signal", and; (2) when the music is playing, there is a light static noise coming from the speakers that is noticeable when the volume is low in the vehicle.

SPECS: (I know they're nothing special): Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7. Radio: Dual DMCPA11BT. Amp: Jensen XDA94RB 1000 watt 4 channel amp. The amp is to power the speakers, not a sub.

So, let's get to how I installed the radio and amp and how I have so far trouble shot the two issues. First, how I installed the radio and trouble shot so far: I installed the radio by using a standard aftermarket harness adapter. Pretty standard, I originally soldered all the connections. The only interesting thing is that the 2010 Dodge Ram factory harness did not have a Red12v ACC wire, so I hd to tap into the cigarette lighter. I have an AXXESS steering wheel control module which I tapped into the factory harness and an aftermarket backup camera. Everything works on the radio, including steering wheel controls and backup camera, however, as I mentioned there is the "no camera signal" when I turn the headlights on. I ended up cutting the speakers wires because I added the amp after the fact, which I then connected to amp via new audio wire that I ran into the radio compartment from the amp (I will say more about this when I get to the amp). How I tried to trouble shoot this issue... I was concerned that since this was a 15 amp radio, maybe the cigarette lighter 12v was the problem. I got a fuse tap and tried a couple different IGNITION related fuse spots in the box, which did not solve the problem. I tried grounding the backup camera to the frame of truck... originally I thought this had worked as I didn't think the problem had occurred again, but I also did not test it much because I didn't have time... anyways, when I tried to work on the amp today, the issue came back, which makes me think it is not the camera ground but something else. I looked at the wires coming out of the light switch for the headlights, and it does not appear those color wires are used anywhere with the radio. I wondered if it could be the steering wheel control, but I really do not know what could be causing the issue. I had a pioneer double din touchscreen radio in the truck before and I had zero problems and used the same wires and harness. The orange illumination wire is not attached, neither is the constant 12v camera power (I believe it's used to turn the camera on without being in reverse). I also tried grounding everything to the metal bracket in the back of the radio bay opposed to the factory harness ground... but again, no luck. If anyone has any ideas, please share...

Now, the amp... I have the amp under the rear seat of the truck. I ran the power and remote turn-on on the drivers side of the truck (yes, there is a fuse 18in from the battery). I ran the RCA's and the speaker wire down the passenger side of the truck into the radio bay where I connected the speaker wires to the factory speaker wires in the truck and the RCA's to the radio. I grounded the amp on the bracket for the seat frame that goes onto the truck frame. I sanded off the paint beforehand. I tested the OHMs, it was a little high at 8-9, but I couldn't find anywhere else to ground (if anyone has any ideas on where to ground under the back seat of this vehicle, please share). I unplugged the radio wires to test for static, as well as the RCA's. I even took spare speaker wire and RCA's and ran them above the carpet to avoid any possible noise and still found that there was noise coming out of the speakers. I understand it could be a speaker issue, or ground issue, or is this something that happens with the amp? Or is it possibly even a radio issue? I've tried just about everything with these two issues, if I can't figure something out, I will have to take it somewhere. Not that that is a bad thing, but because it will hurt my pride a little that I couldn't figure this out.

IDEAS ANYONE????

Thank you all.

For the camera issue. Backup cameras get their power from the backup lights at the back of the car, that is how they are activated. Some radios let you select if you want the camera activated by positive or negative power. See if your radio has that.
For the static noise, try touching a ground wire to the outer spades of the RCA wires. If that works, set it in.

For the camera issue. Backup cameras get their power from the backup lights at the back of the car, that is how they are activated. Some radios let you select if you want the camera activated by positive or negative power. See if your radio has that.
For the static noise, try touching a ground wire to the outer spades of the RCA wires. If that works, set it in.
I have the reverse wire for the camera hooked to the reverse light in the tail light housing. This radio doesn’t have an option from the screen to access the camera at all times, at least not from what I have seen, even though it has a 12v constant camera power wire coming from the harness. I called DUAL tech and they said the illumination and 12v camera wire should remain unhooked.
I will try the ground wire to the RCA spades tonight. Should I attache to the RCA input into the amp or the output from the radio?

Okay.... Installed an aftermarket radio and amp. I have two problems: (1) when I turn the headlights on in the truck, the radio screen goes black and says "video no signal", and; (2) when the music is playing, there is a light static noise coming from the speakers that is noticeable when the volume is low in the vehicle.

SPECS: (I know they're nothing special): Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7. Radio: Dual DMCPA11BT. Amp: Jensen XDA94RB 1000 watt 4 channel amp. The amp is to power the speakers, not a sub.

So, let's get to how I installed the radio and amp and how I have so far trouble shot the two issues. First, how I installed the radio and trouble shot so far: I installed the radio by using a standard aftermarket harness adapter. Pretty standard, I originally soldered all the connections. The only interesting thing is that the 2010 Dodge Ram factory harness did not have a Red12v ACC wire, so I hd to tap into the cigarette lighter. I have an AXXESS steering wheel control module which I tapped into the factory harness and an aftermarket backup camera. Everything works on the radio, including steering wheel controls and backup camera, however, as I mentioned there is the "no camera signal" when I turn the headlights on. I ended up cutting the speakers wires because I added the amp after the fact, which I then connected to amp via new audio wire that I ran into the radio compartment from the amp (I will say more about this when I get to the amp). How I tried to trouble shoot this issue... I was concerned that since this was a 15 amp radio, maybe the cigarette lighter 12v was the problem. I got a fuse tap and tried a couple different IGNITION related fuse spots in the box, which did not solve the problem. I tried grounding the backup camera to the frame of truck... originally I thought this had worked as I didn't think the problem had occurred again, but I also did not test it much because I didn't have time... anyways, when I tried to work on the amp today, the issue came back, which makes me think it is not the camera ground but something else. I looked at the wires coming out of the light switch for the headlights, and it does not appear those color wires are used anywhere with the radio. I wondered if it could be the steering wheel control, but I really do not know what could be causing the issue. I had a pioneer double din touchscreen radio in the truck before and I had zero problems and used the same wires and harness. The orange illumination wire is not attached, neither is the constant 12v camera power (I believe it's used to turn the camera on without being in reverse). I also tried grounding everything to the metal bracket in the back of the radio bay opposed to the factory harness ground... but again, no luck. If anyone has any ideas, please share...

Now, the amp... I have the amp under the rear seat of the truck. I ran the power and remote turn-on on the drivers side of the truck (yes, there is a fuse 18in from the battery). I ran the RCA's and the speaker wire down the passenger side of the truck into the radio bay where I connected the speaker wires to the factory speaker wires in the truck and the RCA's to the radio. I grounded the amp on the bracket for the seat frame that goes onto the truck frame. I sanded off the paint beforehand. I tested the OHMs, it was a little high at 8-9, but I couldn't find anywhere else to ground (if anyone has any ideas on where to ground under the back seat of this vehicle, please share). I unplugged the radio wires to test for static, as well as the RCA's. I even took spare speaker wire and RCA's and ran them above the carpet to avoid any possible noise and still found that there was noise coming out of the speakers. I understand it could be a speaker issue, or ground issue, or is this something that happens with the amp? Or is it possibly even a radio issue? I've tried just about everything with these two issues, if I can't figure something out, I will have to take it somewhere. Not that that is a bad thing, but because it will hurt my pride a little that I couldn't figure this out.

IDEAS ANYONE????

Thank you all.
Hello, I'm having the same issue, did you get this resolved?
I fixed mine.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue, camera goes off when headlight are on how did you solve it ? thanks
I disconnected the backup wire from the harness to the stereo and found the backup signal wire under the drivers side dash and ran a new wire from there to the stereo backup wire and it solved my issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...