Wire Gauge Comformation

Thizzler

I just need to know what Gauge wire kit i should buy!

I was thinking and was told 8awg wire kit.

The booklet that came with my powered sub says (under the Power Connections part)

Installation tip

Use at least #12 AWG wire for the +BATT (+12Vdc) and GND (ground) connections. If needed, use at least a #20 AWG wire for the REM (remote) connection.

Install a fuse holder with a 20 A fuse within 18" of the battery + terminal.

The REM connection requires +5 to +12Vdc signal for Basslink to turn on remotely. Most head units with preamp outputs provide this remote voltage signal. For speaker-level applications, a remote connection is not required, since Basslink's Auto Turn-on feature will sense voltage on the speaker wires to automatically turn on Basslink.

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

c19c062b_htf_imgcache_39919.jpg

basslink.jpg

I know I have another post about wiring but this one is more straight forward which just needs a answer (other one is for continuous help). THNX FOR ALL HELP!

So what gauge wire kit?

Since the basslink doesn't draw much current at all (20A max, going by the fuse rating), you will be 100% fine with an 8ga kit. The inline fuse should match the ampacity of the wire. Most 8ga can handle around 40-60A. The inline fuse is to protect the cable itself, not the amp, as the amp has its own fuse.

I don't know bro, why not use 12 gauge like it fucking says in the book?
Sorry for the questions i got like this but from what everyone had told me b4 this, they said 8g and no one i came close to mentioning anything below this PLUS the fact i want to upgrade in about a year to a bigger system (which i failed to mention my bad sorry) is why i asked vs going with the 12 or 10g kits

Thanks to all the people that helped much appreciated, going to get my kit tomorrow!

BUT if i did decided to go with the 12g or 10g power wire and 20g ground set up like it stats in book would i still need a fuse on the power wire? (they even make one for ones that small ? lol since i have been looking at 8g stuff i wouldn't have notice it if they do)

Sorry for the questions i got like this but from what everyone had told me b4 this, they said 8g and no one i came close to mentioning anything below this PLUS the fact i want to upgrade in about a year to a bigger system (which i failed to mention my bad sorry) is why i asked vs going with the 12 or 10g kitsThanks to all the people that helped much appreciated, going to get my kit tomorrow!
Go with at least 4ga in this case, 1/0 if you plan on making a HUGE upgrade. Go big the first time so you don't have to waste time doing it again.

Go with at least 4ga in this case, 1/0 if you plan on making a HUGE upgrade. Go big the first time so you don't have to waste time doing it again.
That's the plan :p exactly what im thinking...my concern with a bigger wire was ...well i was wondering if it would cause problems like the amp to blow up cuz its feeding more power or and issue at all ? thats why i picked 8awg myself cuz it was in the middle and not to big but if i can use a 4 awg and still have a super small amp with no problems then i should do that cuz according to that chart at 10feet with 4g i can go pretty high //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ??

ALSO on a side note i was price wire kits at Walmart and i saw 3 diff. wire kits....

1200Watt $35

680watt rms

680Watt $25

400wat rms

270Watt $20

160watt rms

All include the same 8g wire same length in all wires so my question is what makes them diff. watts? im thinkin its the fuse inside the fuse box am i right?

2nd question is what is rms? 1200Watts / 680Watts rms what is rm and which one should i go by ??? sorry no pic.

If you plan on upgrading in the future just get 1/0 the first time, put a distro block in the back and run your 8-12 gauge from the distro to the powered sub.

If you plan on upgrading in the future just get 1/0 the first time, put a distro block in the back and run your 8-12 gauge from the distro to the powered sub.
ill think about it but tbh price is an issue and when your trying to spend little to no money (lol) it gets tough and i know the bigger the wire the higher the price but i will definitely think about it , do you by chance know the answer to my other question since you seem to know a bunch ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.