Will this setup work?

Participant count
  • Participant list

krash91

Hey all! I just joined this forum because after some lurking, it seems there are some pretty knowledgable members on here haha. I currently own a 240sx, I've never really looked into upgrading the sound. I have some random speakers in there that I found while cleaning my garage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

Currently trying to just upgrade my setup. Its nothing fancy, I'm using a Kenwood KDC-MP428 (peak 50W x 4 and Full Bandwidth Power 22W x 4). I'm looking at these Rockford Fosgate speakers (R165x3; 45W rms, 90W max). I've been reading all kinds of things about making sure RMS powers match between head-unit and speakers and I've read that underpowering a speaker an ruin it.

I'd hate to buy these speakers and have them blow... I'm having trouble actually nailing down an answer on whether underpowering the speakers will kill them. The 22W continuous coming out of my headunit is less than half of the speaker's RMS.

While a "yes it will work" or "no it wont" answer is sufficient, I'd love an actual explanation why or why not. I'm the kind of person that actually likes to understand whats going on haha.

Thanks in advanced for any help

Underpowering does not ruin speakers. Distortion and clipping does. Every speaker is underpowered at some point..... you don't listen at full volume 100% of the time. That is an "idiot myth" the reason that is believed is because people have 1000 watt subs and a 500 watt amp. They push the amp so far into clipping and distortion that it destroys the voicecoil.

^ That and you will never see 22 watts out of any headunit. You will see 12 or less.

Those are bottom barrel from a not that great brand so don't expect much even amped.

Do you have a budget?

Indeed. I have $110 to spend. I realize this isn't going to get me some amazing SQ build, but I figured I should be able to do something to make it sound better haha. The current situation is pretty bad. I have some random 4x6s (yes 4x6) in the front, and stock 6.5s from an audi in the rear. Its not sounding that great to be honest haha.

Good news (I think...)! I found a pioneer amp in my garage (seriously, there are all kinds of things in there..) Its a 2-channel amp, 60Wx2 RMS at 4 ohms. I'm assuming if I hook up 4 of those RF speakers to this, that gives me 30W RMS for each speaker. What do you guys think?

Another plus is that I can cut out my headunit completely now. I'm using a nexus 7 tablet as my main unit, the headunit is basically just there in my glovebox as an amplifier (aux cord to the headunit.) Now I can run the Aux cord directly to the amp, the tablet has all the volume controls on it. I think this is better overall too. Before, the headunit was cranked up to max volume all the time, and I'd just control the output volume from my tablet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.