Will this headunit improve my SQ? details inside

OMG whatever i quit.......stop trying to find holes in what im saying.......the guy wanted to know if upgrading his head unit would be a good idea get back to the original topic and stop trying to just make me look wrong
we are trying to make you look wrong you just dont seem to understand the concept of what is being discussed

Ok, so you obviously don't know what the gain is and you think that because I tell you that you don't know what it is, that I am putting you down. That is not that case. The gain is used to adjust the maximum potential output of the amp. If an amp does 100wrms @ 1% THD, it will do that power whether the input voltage to the amp is 8v or 2v.
Let's say that you set the gains of the amp to put out that 100wrms with an input source of 2v. When you hook it up to a headunit that has 8v pre-outs, you will be driving the amp into clipping and you may be getting something like 140wrms @ 20% THD. Is this "better" in your eyes (or ears I should say)? Will it be louder? Yes.

Now let's say that you have this same amp and replace the headunit but this time, you change the gain and lower it a good amount. Now you're getting 100wrms @ 1% THD like before. This will be just as loud as it was previously and nothing else will be affected. The noise floor may be lowered but the difference will be very small. If we're talking a 20mv input voltage then yes, the noise will be a factor.

just shut up and stop trying to boost your ego.............

in my opinion upgrading head unit=good ok you took a simple statement and turned it into you trying to school me on all your vast knowledge.....save it

we are trying to make you look wrong you just dont seem to understand the concept of what is being discussed
i said my stereo sounded better when i upgraded to a better head unit how complicated of a concept is that?

i said my stereo sounded better when i upgraded to a better head unit how complicated of a concept is that?
evidently more complicated then you seem to be able to comprehend so i will leave it alone

btw the problem was not the statement but the reasoning

im glad you got a good ego boost.......i dont know how i will go on in life now.....my only hope is that i will someday be as smart as you and maby i will be able to live a happy life

Hey goon, I'm a total noob and I appreciate your question because it helped me learn alot. I always thought a higher pre-out voltage on the head unit meant a more powerful output to my subs too. I think what they're trying to say is that a higher pre-out voltage only means the source power is increased, but doesn't increase overall power, because the amp determines the overall (clean) power to the subs. So whether your head unit is 2 volt or 5 volt, you still end up getting the same power out of the amp, you're just able to set the gains in different spots to get to this maximum (clean) power.
That's how this noob is understanding it anyways.

Also, I genuinely don't think they were trying to insult you, but merely explain to you why spending more money on a headunit with a higher preout might not be the best solution to his situation. Either way, thanks for asking, it helped me understand some.
Bingo, you now understand gain setting. Anyway, nobody was mkaing fun of him, he's apparently just very sensative about not knowing certain things. As soon as someone talks over his head he takes it as a personal attack. This isnt' a very technical forum in the first place, but a good place to learn for beginners if they are willing to learn instead of acting like they know it all already. Especially if they are willing to ask questions and take the time to understand detailed answers.

Hey goon, I'm a total noob and I appreciate your question because it helped me learn alot. I always thought a higher pre-out voltage on the head unit meant a more powerful output to my subs too. I think what they're trying to say is that a higher pre-out voltage only means the source power is increased, but doesn't increase overall power, because the amp determines the overall (clean) power to the subs. So whether your head unit is 2 volt or 5 volt, you still end up getting the same power out of the amp, you're just able to set the gains in different spots to get to this maximum (clean) power.
That's how this noob is understanding it anyways.
High signal voltage does not mean more power to the speakers, you are correct. When you install a new h/u with a higher signal voltage, amplifier gains MUST be adjusted down to compensate for the hotter signal. Over all change is the same output level from the amplifier to the speakers. Its a simple balancing act.
All a higher signal voltage does is increase the gap between signal strength, and the noise floor. Noise induced into the signal will be at a certain level. The higher the signal voltage is, the louder the signal is than the noise, and the less audible the noise is. Simple right? But some people think a gain knob is a volume knob, because after all adjusting it does change the volume of the system.

Gains should ONLY be used to adjust system output power if/when you want to limit maximum amplifier output (headroom or what ever you want to call it).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.