Will a High Output Alternator Fry my car's Electrical System?

MkKin420

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Oct 21, 2008
Ohio
You fuse for the wire, Correct? If you have a HO alt that puts out around 200 amps peak than you should use a wire capable of that and then some this is were 0 gauge comes in. So you would fuse for the 0 gauge cable, which can handle 300 amps, well over the maximum that the alt will put out, and you use say a 250-300 amp fuse. The fuse is not their to stop the device from drawing or putting out so much current, its to stop the circuit in the event of a short. Am I wrong?

• Thanks
Reactions: Da Bronx Bomber Z

tussery

Jan 26, 2009
houston tx
all i have to say is that alternators can and will fry your car.. i had a brand new chrsyler 300M just put 2 JL 13W7, and 2 JL 1000/1, and a JL 300/4 in there had a HO alternator put in was a 200amp.. have a 1/0 gauge from the alterator to the battery... and this is what happened to my car when i got two miles down the road after having all the work done....

I look at this pic and it is like a "wheres waldo" pic

soon as i saw it i seen the problem... look where the fuse is mounted, on the back where you normally put the alarm sirein,, way further from the battery then the 18 inches max that all installers go by. The whole reason for that fuse is to pop when there is a short so it dont heat up and start a fire,, there looks to be about 3 feet of wire from the fuse to the battery. now with that i am sure there was a short in the 3 feet that wasnt fused,, which got hot, REAL HOT caught fire and well... you know the rest... IT WAS NOT THE ALTERNATOR IT WAS A SHORT IN THE MAIN AMP WIRE FROM THE BATTERY! The pic shows you right there you see the fuse and you see the red insulation on both sides then you see the thick copper with the insulation melter off in the middle fo the fire well there is where your short was.

• Thanks
Reactions: Da Bronx Bomber Z

johnpeter

May 19, 2009
MALAYSIA
've heard many people (including some mechanics) run off at the mouth about how getting a HO alternator will fry all the wires and destroy your car's electrical system and blow every bulb in your car...

Nothing could be further from the case..

sales lead tracking software

Memory Stick

Wingman0121

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 1, 2010
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Ha do realize that people on the internet will argue until the end of time so... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Steve Meade has what I believe three Ho alternators and he beats that shit all day long. Alma Gates' Bronco had 11 custom HO alternators and her truck didn't explode, and 99% of the people in this car audio hobby aren't even worthy enough to stand next to her.

Those two are good enough examples that HO alternators itself won't do a **** thing to your electrical system. A faulty install/hardware will.

yadogg

Senior VIP Member
Oct 19, 2010
Tulsa
good stuff Yota, good for the noobs
agreed, thanks for helping a noob //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Jul 29, 2010
Australia
Let me get this right... If you are drawing more current continuously than your alt can supply then your battery will go flat. If you sub amp is pulling peak current draws bigger than your Alt supplies then the battery supplies all the extra current. If you are pulling more current with peaks than your battery can supply you should upgrade your battery to handle the demand. If your electrical system is drawing continuously up to 80% of your Alts supply then you will need to look at replacing your Alt. A minimum 20% should be left to recharge the battery. So as I see it how does running more current on a stock Alt destroy it - I'm of the thought it will just run your batteries flat. I'm always hearing my stereo killed my Factory alt.

Please explain how in detail or support my thoughts that once it hits its regulatored limits thats it.

CHEERS

Brazito

Aug 3, 2010
I'm more confused as to what to do now than I was previously.

Too many saying "do this", others saying "don't do that or this will happen".

Makes me want to go back to stock and **** it all.

Are there any experts? And not self proclaimed experts. I need my truck running not melting.

orphe

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Feb 22, 2005
Houston
I'm more confused as to what to do now than I was previously.
Too many saying "do this", others saying "don't do that or this will happen".

Makes me want to go back to stock and **** it all.

Are there any experts? And not self proclaimed experts. I need my truck running not melting.
I’ve pretty much read this entire thread and was in the same boat as you. I’m NOT an expert by any means but I did install my HOA and its been going strong for about 2 months so far. Just install and do the big 3 and you WILL be ok

eraceyfase

Mar 9, 2012
Lebanon, MO
i like to think of it like this. lets say you have a 10 amp breaker for your 110 volt tv and a 30 amp breaker with heavier wire for your 110 volt air conditioner with heavier wire. one day tou plug the tv into the a/c plugin. did it fry because of the higher capacity, no you actually put less strain on the system. i know this is alt current but it puts it into laymans terms. if anything a HO alternator is safer as long as you do it right... with more output your amp will put out less distortion making it easier for your subs. also there will be less voltage fluctuation in the rest of the car, making it easier on things like your ignition coils or ecu.

gckless

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
San Antonio
i like to think of it like this. lets say you have a 10 amp breaker for your 110 volt tv and a 30 amp breaker with heavier wire for your 110 volt air conditioner with heavier wire. one day tou plug the tv into the a/c plugin. did it fry because of the higher capacity, no you actually put less strain on the system. i know this is alt current but it puts it into laymans terms. if anything a HO alternator is safer as long as you do it right... with more output your amp will put out less distortion making it easier for your subs. also there will be less voltage fluctuation in the rest of the car, making it easier on things like your ignition coils or ecu.
Just because an amp is recieving more current doesn't mean it will put out less distortion. Also, why would the TV fry?

eraceyfase

Mar 9, 2012
Lebanon, MO
i said the tv wouldnt fry. read it again... and ok if the amp wasnt recieving enough current in the first place it would put out less distortion than it did before with the proper current. mybad. also when im wiring something i like to make sure i have way more power available than i actually need that way if i change it up i dont have to put in heavier equipment to back it up. thats a pain in the ***.

Bomber Z

Senior VIP Member
Oct 27, 2012
Davie, Florida
I'm running a H/O alt with the big 3 wire also 3 Kinectic batteries, and running a 4g. wire to each batt from alt.Plus a cap on each amp. Things have been running cool and smooth. If you take short cuts you will end up with problems.

LosIsATool

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 7, 2011
Pensacola, Florida
I'm running a H/O alt with the big 3 wire also 3 Kinectic batteries, and running a 4g. wire to each batt from alt.Plus a cap on each amp. Things have been running cool and smooth. If you take short cuts you will end up with problems.
Get rid of the caps and it will run better.

Bomber Z

Senior VIP Member
Oct 27, 2012
Davie, Florida
How will it run better w/o the caps??? It hold the voltage is more consistent with the caps. That why they are in place. This system has been under construction for 3 years. Testing which amps, speakers, caps batteries work best. With all the testing I've done. So for this has been the most consistant the voltage has been. So You have me confused why you would suggest removing the caps. ???

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
How will it run better w/o the caps??? It hold the voltage is more consistent with the caps. That why they are in place. This system has been under construction for 3 years. Testing which amps, speakers, caps batteries work best. With all the testing I've done. So for this has been the most consistant the voltage has been. So You have me confused why you would suggest removing the caps. ???
Here's a little test for you to do to see how much power your capacitor provides. See how long JUST THE CAPACITOR will power your amp. Play music, disconnect at the battery and let us know how long the "reserve" in your capacitor lasts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest classifieds