Will a High Output Alternator Fry my car's Electrical System?

I have a 250 amp HO alt, with a 15V regulator, No problems here.
cause your system is ***** like //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cuddle.gif.bd1b29c179c0482f8313dbd790b74c94.gif

***...lawl, So did you ever finish your ****? Im bout to get serious about competeing, Im gonna try to get my hands on 2 10" Hype R's and I have a second 1200d, and Im gonna strap my 2 1200Ds together at .5 ohms and run them on a pair of the 10's, Hopefully with a little testing and a lot of MDF, Ill break a 50

all i have to say is that alternators can and will fry your car.. i had a brand new chrsyler 300M just put 2 JL 13W7, and 2 JL 1000/1, and a JL 300/4 in there had a HO alternator put in was a 200amp.. have a 1/0 gauge from the alterator to the battery... and this is what happened to my car when i got two miles down the road after having all the work done....

eneginetoasted.jpg
DAMN.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/scared.gif.f134e57c6c93ccd0f15aa5ac32c7d4a0.gif Do what exactly happened? DID u install this urself?

#1 if you are wired right with fuses, It would not matter how many amps you push. #2 that's what the alt. regulators job is and when it fails, usually it is a bad diode then it does not send any current under that diodes circuit.#3 larger than oem alt. have been put in cars long before this forum has existed.

all i have to say is that alternators can and will fry your car.. i had a brand new chrsyler 300M just put 2 JL 13W7, and 2 JL 1000/1, and a JL 300/4 in there had a HO alternator put in was a 200amp.. have a 1/0 gauge from the alterator to the battery... and this is what happened to my car when i got two miles down the road after having all the work done....

eneginetoasted.jpg

Man that looks like a BBQ pit!

If someone put that in they would be getting the bill form me or a trip to court.

One word to the noobs. "If your Voltage Regulator fails" you better have a fuse inline between the alt and battery or your cooking your wiring!

You need "Two" 250 amp fuse holders/ One before and one after or you get what he just posted.

**** did the person install it poorly or something im getting a 280 amp now im kinda worried about it blowing up..

I have built 1000's of Alt and never seen a 280amp in any parts list? The biggest is 200amp.

I see alot advertised as 225amp but it's just a 200amp that is putting out close to 225amp.

These things put out loads of heat under load and require good heat transfer paste and a **** good fan to keep it cooled down.

never seen larger than 200 amp alternator?

Yea in a Mac Truck its the size of a 13" W7 and just as deep. If you can get one in a car without cutting the engine up let me know I could sell them all day.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

When I say 200 amps, I'm not talking some sells pitch ad. I mean Real 200+ amps that can run all day long. Not "Three mins" before it cooks.

I use this type http://www.alternatorparts.com/dual_rectifier_big_ford.htm

Notice how much bigger it is "32lbs". Yes it can hit 300amps but thats cold not after its hot! They rate it as a 215amp cause thats real world amps!

I seen to many post on Alt failer from some cheese head company that throws numbers around like that means anything. Kinda like some companys say they put out amps rated at 2000watts and we know what to look for to avoid that crap!

YES A HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR WITH MAKE YOUR CARS COMPUTER EXPLODE!!!

jk...

Well In theroy it could, if you had a 200 AMP alternator, and you replaced your 4 gauge wire with 22 gauge, you might have a problem.

OR

If you accidently bought a 32 volt HO alt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...