Why would my Hifonics Hifi 2000 keep going into protect?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ImGarzaa

I have had the same system for about two years. With absolutely no issues other than fuses. I'm running two fuses now two Kicker 150amps and haven't had any problems with them.

But last night I was bumping, heading to a friends house and my amp shut off. This has happened before but very seldom. Ever since that happened, my amp keeps going into protect mode when I increase the volume slightly. Even at low volume, it goes into protect mode.

My voltage according to my Stinger volt meter, avg's about 13.1 volts.

My system consists of: Four 12" Kicker Comp's, Pioneer Dash and Rear Panel speakers, 4000w Hifonics Amp (Bass), 600w Dual Amp (Treble), Two 3/4 Boston Acoustics Tweet's, .5 Fared Cap, Alpine Eq 3339, Alpine Headunit.

Nothing on the system has been adjusted for over two years. Could it of just went bad?

Please help!

Could be that it just went bad. Word of advice, scrap the cap. Capacitors are just another point of failure and do not provide any real benefit. Especially with your system. You have no need for one. Might help if you give the model number of the amp. It isn't a 4000 watt amp. Remember to always deal with RMS figures, no one really pays attention to peak numbers. They mean nothing and only serve as a way for companies to try to lure people in that don't know any better.

For the power that you are running, you probably don't need two 150 amp fuses either. Having too many fuses or too high of a rating can be bad. Your alt might be spiking power or something like that and the fuses are there to protect the amp. If you have to high a rating of fuse, then it won't go out and the amp receives more power than it should which can cause it to go into protect. Not good.

sounds like it went bad if i you havnt touched a single thing and it just went out randomly after two years. but then again, there could be a short or something going on back there that just happened. check voltage at amps. make sure the amp is still grounded properly and didnt become lose.

does everything work except the subs?

So, turns out.. It was just the heat of the air. The temperature here was like 106of.. And my amp was just too hot to work. And it remained like that for about a week. Then it rained and everything cooled down, I went out and it worked, but slightly.. After awhile of it getting cooler outside, it started working again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for all the help though!

So, turns out.. It was just the heat of the air. The temperature here was like 106of.. And my amp was just too hot to work. And it remained like that for about a week. Then it rained and everything cooled down, I went out and it worked, but slightly.. After awhile of it getting cooler outside, it started working again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Thanks for all the help though!

with the seat back, the amp gets no fresh air, you should think about getting a small dc cooling fan installed for cheap.

Why do you use a Capacitor?...I have seen a couple of people do that, but I have not figured out the true beneficial reasoning behind it.

Lol Well honestly, once I got everything installed and started demoing for people around town, At night people pointed out my dimming headlights/ int lights. And I knew that, that meant it was voltage, and one of my friends said a capacitor would fix it.. So I bought a little cheapy .5 fared cap. and It fixed my problem. My lights didn't dim after I installed it.

I know everyone says they're pointless.. but it was alot cheaper and it looks way more appealing than another battery. I have a stock alt, and just basic yellow top battery, and the lowest voltage I've ever seen my volt meter read is 11.9 or 11.7. It averages around 13.4v.. and on a good day it'll read 14.4v

Lol Well honestly, once I got everything installed and started demoing for people around town, At night people pointed out my dimming headlights/ int lights. And I knew that, that meant it was voltage, and one of my friends said a capacitor would fix it.. So I bought a little cheapy .5 fared cap. and It fixed my problem. My lights didn't dim after I installed it.I know everyone says they're pointless.. but it was alot cheaper and it looks way more appealing than another battery. I have a stock alt, and just basic yellow top battery, and the lowest voltage I've ever seen my volt meter read is 11.9 or 11.7. It averages around 13.4v.. and on a good day it'll read 14.4v
That means the cap is doing nothing. You lights stopped dimming cause the cheap cap isnt letting the amps get the current they need. Also has to do with your heat problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.