Why use mp3s and/or high end amps when...

Define "time solid state amps". I'm not familiar with it.

Desertheat, if you're implying that Legacy can't put out the same RMS wattage as Zapco, look for a Zapco 100.2, and a Legacy 2400d, and they should be pretty close. =p

Was not implying that at all, what I meant in better english was "The only time solid state amps" Hope that clears things up for ya //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Also I have already stated over and over, when it comes to true rms power and amp is an amp period. They are seperated by features or looks.

What the statement above meant "Only time solid state amps can sound different is when overdriven past there limits" Means that well made amps, especially geared for bass can sound totally different when overdriven, some clip soft, some clip hard. Depends on the amp... I stated that because it is somthing to think about when choosing an amp more geared for bass or if you overdrive your system on a regular basis "in which it might be a good idea to upgrade"

Only time solid state amps can sound different is when overdriven past there limits... somthing to think about.
Read my sig.

Take two identical amps, set their gains differently (yet within their limits) and play them at the same volume level (at the source). I bet you'll hear a difference, and they are both well within their limits. Assuming you are taking the stance that all amplifiers "sound the same", a more appropriate way of saying this would be to say "under identical conditions, two amplifiers can sound the same". Anything less is simply incorrect.

Exactly because all the components are different in the chain, set two amps up on the same linup of equipment and say in the same car / room reguardless of brand and make and poof, you cannot tell the difference period. I think it was old richard clark that also has a bounty on somone that can tell the difference bewteen two class a/b amps putting out the same rms... think he was the one offering $10K.

Read my sig.
Take two identical amps, set their gains differently (yet within their limits) and play them at the same volume level (at the source). I bet you'll hear a difference, and they are both well within their limits. Assuming you are taking the stance that all amplifiers "sound the same", a more appropriate way of saying this would be to say "under identical conditions, two amplifiers can sound the same". Anything less is simply incorrect.
exactly. Two different amps will sound 99% the same in the same exact conditions. A realistic scenario is the choice of a stereo owner to swap out amps but leave the rest of his setup untouched. In this case, when played w/in their limits, neither amplifier will have an advantage in sound quality.

Hahahaha I chose to learn the science first and why I would want go with one peice of equipment over another instead of a salesman or fagazine telling me what to buy. That is why I usually run pretty oddball equipment for the most part.

I know the feeling...or curse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

at least I haven't degenerated to $500/meter interconnects and $100 power cables...what some people will do with their money...

exactly. Two different amps will sound 99% the same in the same exact conditions. A realistic scenario is the choice of a stereo owner to swap out amps but leave the rest of his setup untouched. In this case, when played w/in their limits, neither amplifier will have an advantage in sound quality.
But honestly, how often are setups in the same vehicle "identical". Unless you are setting all your gains with an o-scope (not many do), tweaking them with an RTA (not many people do), and have an extremely upgraded power supply that eliminates any and all voltage drop (again, not many people do), etc etc....then the setups are not going to be identical. And this doesn't take into account the on-board features that are by-passed in all the "blind testing".....which poorly designed internal crossover and non-bypassable features will affect sound quality. Hard reality is that chances are slim to none that two setups will be identical. Again, what works in a lab and in a showroom don't always work in reality.

I make my own wires out of decent stock, I do not buy into audio myths but only fact, I have been kicked out of several audio salons because I question what they are trying to sell because 99% of it is total bs and I have no problem calling them on it in a professional way. I think my most hated brand is monster, those jerks are ripping people off worldwide that do not know better. Look at my sig, join the club! haha

But honestly, how often are setups in the same vehicle "identical". Unless you are setting all your gains with an o-scope (not many do), tweaking them with an RTA (not many people do), and have an extremely upgraded power supply that eliminates any and all voltage drop (again, not many people do), etc etc....then the setups are not going to be identical. And this doesn't take into account the on-board features that are by-passed in all the "blind testing".....which poorly designed internal crossover and non-bypassable features will affect sound quality. Hard reality is that chances are slim to none that two setups will be identical. Again, what works in a lab and in a showroom don't always work in reality.
Here is an example for ya

Take 5 cars all with different setups that have bass boost / crossovers all external. Say all 5 cars have a front stage amp rated 100w x2 rms. Set the gains the same between the cars for the same output rms and bang. You will have no clue what amps is in what car when doing a demo between them. I do not care if one car has a $1000 mcintosh over a $50 profile you will have no clue period even with different speakers and setup. As long as the amp has none of its features turned on. As stated features and how the amp is used is what really makes a difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.