Why pay 5 times more for this...

hzsogood
5,000+ posts

**The Clean South**
TX/MN
I am a carpenter and i have been using this waterproofing membrane called " protecto wrap" for a while now, And to me it seems to be basically the exact same thing as a dynomat ( etc ) . I noticed the temp. rating s are basically the same as well.. The only notable difference i could see is that the bigger dampening products are 70-80 mil, and this is 45 mil.. Almost double the thickness but then again could'nt you just double up on the membrane itself .. Anyways just checking.. btw

100 ^ ft = 70 bux

dyno 100 6 ft. = 500 bux

Its similar to the stuff I experimented with, Tamko TW Moisture guard. and yes it was asphalt based. It was as thin as maybe 2 fruit rollups stacked on top of each other.

I used that stuff in my truck. It sticks really well, IF you let it touch itself, that piece is screwed lol. I also used acoustic fiberglass mat underneath it and it did a great job deadeding my doors and rear wall, I paid $15 for a 50'x6" wide roll.

I have been looking to add sound dampening/deadening – whatever to my car as well. What http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com seems to tell me is that basically certain products stick to your car better than others, while other products stink up your car and other products do not.

At the end of the day if you run to Menards or Home Depot to get your Sound Deadener/dampening/roofing whatever you want to call it, it’s the same expensive stuff that you spend the $$ for, just that maybe the stuff at Home Deport might make your car smell like asphalt and it might lose it’s stickiness and fall off. Also some material seems to install better.

I’ve been thinking of adding dampening to my car for quite awhile now (before I even knew what dynomat or Peal N Seal was) and came across this site: http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html they have pretty good prices, you can get 200 square feet for about $200 @ 1/8 thick. Their prices run in (Lin.) ft. A lineal foot is 48” width, 12” long. You can start at 1/8 thickness and go up to 2” if you want to spend the $$ on it.

I’m going to try the stuff from soundproofing.org, you use it for cars, boats, planes, etc where you want noise control, it adds a little weight to your car door, and probably will work better than roofing material or anything else that’s expensive, but it’s priced at the Peal N’ Seal price. Also it isn’t asphalt so it won’t stink up your car or anything. If you’re looking for Mass Loading, they also have “Super Soundproofing Silencer” which is $1.90 sq. ft. and weighs about 1 pound per sq. ft.

All the information that I researched on this, is that spending huge amounts of money on sound deadening material for your car is crap.

So if you’re tight for money, try the stuff from soundproofing.org or even try the Peal N’ Seal or roofing products, if you use a roofing product your car might stink (people say it goes away) and it might come off (If that happens, glue it with epoxy or something), or it might be harder to apply.

Other than that, don’t spend the huge amounts of money. If you’re tight for cash, try roofing material, worst that can happen is that your car stinks and it might fall off, if it falls off get some contact cement or something. As far as sound deadening is concerned you could probably put lead weights in your car doors and accomplish the same thing that dynomat is doing if you’re just “mass loading” your car doors. The stuff at soundproofing.org will probably do a slightly better job of deadening the road noise.

This is another pet peeve of mine, how many db’s of sound does dynomat or any roofing material reduce when installed in your car? That would be the true test and I’m almost willing to bet if someone spent the $$ on it they would probably ALL come out to deadening the same amount of db’s.

That’s my .02

marly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.