Why is my amp smoking???

Go back to car audio 101 and read about an amps gain.
I am very aware of amps. i said it is possible. But my first thing I would check is the subs considering he is running a 1000rms for a sub that prob wouldn't take more than 600 to 700 daily. and subs will SMOKE. The reason I started saying "subs subs subs" from the beginning is because of the extreme over powering of the subs for daily . DOUBLE RMS for daily

I am very aware of amps. i said it is possible. But my first thing I would check is the subs considering he is running a 1000rms for a sub that prob wouldn't take more than 600 to 700 daily. and subs will SMOKE. The reason I started saying "subs subs subs" from the beginning is because of the extreme over powering of the subs for daily . DOUBLE RMS for daily
ok but still, i'm running 5 times the rms rating on my front component speakers. they don't smoke. i have 300 per side running active to comps rated at 60 a side with a passive there to soak some up as well. more power isn't always a bad thing. now, if he is overdriving them and sending the amp into clipping, then thats another story.

ok but still, i'm running 5 times the rms rating on my front component speakers. they don't smoke. i have 300 per side running active to comps rated at 60 a side with a passive there to soak some up as well. more power isn't always a bad thing. now, if he is overdriving them and sending the amp into clipping, then thats another story.
Clipping hurts speakers? I didn't know that.......................

(It doesnt)

Different speakers are different. Subwoofers typically don't take the much power. See with highs depends on where you have them crossed over you may be getting MUCH less power than what you would think Average power kills speakers. Not distortion. (well I guess it does by that saying, But distortion raises the average power) Typically for most subwoofers a safe bet (depending on sub) is to not go more than 10 to 20 percent higher than that of your rms. And on some subs won't even take that (depending on how conservatively or generous they rated the speaker. Do me a favor clamp your highs and see how much power they are getting money goes for not more than 100 to 150 per side TOPS... Now to the original kid. Do what you want. But wouldn't you feel pretty stupid if you spent all that money if the amp was fine. Just do some basic tests to make sure it is the amp. I E hooking it up to other subs. or putting the amp in another car.

Different speakers are different. Subwoofers typically don't take the much power. See with highs depends on where you have them crossed over you may be getting MUCH less power than what you would think Average power kills speakers. Not distortion. (well I guess it does by that saying, But distortion raises the average power) Typically for most subwoofers a safe bet (depending on sub) is to not go more than 10 to 20 percent higher than that of your rms. And on some subs won't even take that (depending on how conservatively or generous they rated the speaker. Do me a favor clamp your highs and see how much power they are getting money goes for not more than 100 to 150 per side TOPS... Now to the original kid. Do what you want. But wouldn't you feel pretty stupid if you spent all that money if the amp was fine. Just do some basic tests to make sure it is the amp. I E hooking it up to other subs. or putting the amp in another car.
Really? I beat the everliving hell out of my old Memphis M-Class 12's, rated at 250wrms a piece, with 450wrms for over 2 years. Now they're in my buddy's car getting 300wrms each.

Different speakers are different. Subwoofers typically don't take the much power. See with highs depends on where you have them crossed over you may be getting MUCH less power than what you would think Average power kills speakers. Not distortion. (well I guess it does by that saying, But distortion raises the average power) Typically for most subwoofers a safe bet (depending on sub) is to not go more than 10 to 20 percent higher than that of your rms. And on some subs won't even take that (depending on how conservatively or generous they rated the speaker. t Now to the original kid. Do what you want. But wouldn't you feel pretty stupid if you spent all that money if the amp was fine. Just do some basic tests to make sure it is the amp. I E hooking it up to other subs. or putting the amp in another car.
thats very true. i bet the tweeters on average aren't seeing more than maybe 25 watts, and i bet the mids on average don't see over 100 watts. i know i have seen the clip light on my S4 flashing a tiny bit but the way i read it, the clip light will light whenever the rail voltage on the amp is met, even if it's on an extremely(split second) short peak.

i was just trying to say that even though his amp can make that much power he is probably not using it all but on the other hand maybe he is. who knows.

and clipping does hurt speakers, but not the clipping itself, but the extra power the speaker see's when the amp clips.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.