Why IB like IB

Upgrayedd
10+ year member

Double dose of the pimpin
Ohio
For years I have wanted to try an IB setup. Well. I finally Decided to give it ago. While waiting for the rack to free up to put my engine In I decided to start the project. With only a jigsaw, square, and chalk I got started.

After Inspecting the deck, I decided that it was just too uneven to slap some mdf on it and sprayfoam it. I wanted to make use of anything on it. If it went there it was rigid. So...

After measuring and marking this happened.

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

I then measured and cut the blockoff for the seat

IMG_3515.jpg

There is a 2nd layer now glued to the board that fits the shock mount better

I also made the deck cover that will be more cosmetic than structural. Seen here with seat cover

IMG_3549.jpg

You might ask WTF is going in that gaping hole? This

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

1" L channel 1/8" thick 1/8x1" mounts for the baffle. I still need to cut radii out of the ones on the side and finish a parameter. to mount the baffle

After some massaging of the hole I stuck it in.

IMG_3531.jpg

I then cut the baffle.

IMG_3555.jpg

As with the seat block it is 1" 2 layers of glued 1/2"mdf.

I still have a long way to go and updates will be slow coming. After the baffle basket gets welded in, there will be misc bracing for it above and below. I am also welding in bracing behind the seat and plating in larger gaps. I will be using spray foam along with your abcs of dampening, just sparingly. You don't build an enclosure to flex and I feel IB is the same way. I will be running 3 10s in this byotch. The above was a span of 2 nights and about 10 hours

Peas.

More will be a long wait. I work at 3 shops (none audio related), along with being Mr. Mom during the day. This vehicle needs an engine before audio. And I want my sprite on the road before the end of this coming summer, so I am occupied to say the least. On top of that I need family time which is more important than any of this. There may be 2 updates a month or so.

Nothing too exciting but I got some time.

I scraped off the factory sound deadening, Luckily this wasn't as stuck as usual. Took less than an hour

IMG_3591.jpg

I then sanded the deck and the frame.

IMG_3592.jpg

Dropped the frame in and tacked it in. Started stiching it. Against my better judgment I didnt seam weld 1st. This bit me in the ass when the seams that are 1/2" from the frame started distorting. before I went further I spot welded them best I could.

IMG_3593.jpg

This was one of the most awkward things I have had to weld. I wish I had the motivation to pull the back glass but I don't. Luckily outside of the pics, the birdshit welds won't be seen. All in all I'm happy with how rigid things are getting. I think once I get bracing and gussets in, the deck will be rigid enough to pass for a real baffle.

peas.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll reveal equipment once It goes in and is measured. All I will say is it is an inexpensive sub that is not suggested for IB. Lucily I had transfer function data for my vehicle, when modeled it was pretty flat and should have more than sufficient output before hitting x-max.

Good stuff.
Which subs are you going with?

... I really need to learn to weld.
Its not as hard as it looks. I couldnt do it at all. Started playing with a welder and I have grown alot. Just play around.

The pics of the radiator in the truck screwed me up lol.

Its not as hard as it looks. I couldnt do it at all. Started playing with a welder and I have grown alot. Just play around.

The pics of the radiator in the truck screwed me up lol.
Yup. I learned about 5 years ago, I got tired of waiting for people to weld stff for me so I sat at the tig and went to work. It was funny. Most people learn to mig first. I could tig sufficiently for almost a year before I could mig.

Rad is in the trunk because engine is out. When I go in to work on the car if the rack is tied up, I'm going to hang out anyway, so I just work on the audio.

Thanks man. I'm not an installer by trade, haven't been for ~5 years but I have never been on the level of some of these guys. However I try to approach everything in life in the same manor; do what is necessary with as little as possible. IMO it would have been just as difficult do use 2-4 pieces of mdf, foam and deadener.

lets seee some updates //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Upgrayedd

10+ year member
Double dose of the pimpin
Upgrayedd
Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date