Why I hate buying car audio - Am I stupid?

amdhunter
10+ year member

Hey guys. I have an 09 RX-8 and have been itching to put in a subwoofer into my car for the last few weeks. While I know little about car audio, I've been into home audio since the 80s.

I've been visiting shops for the last few weeks and have been bummed to no end. All the shops I visit leave my BS meter broken. I guess the only way to explain it, is to state what I want, and what I am told.

What I want: A subwoofer installed to my factory Bose system. I am not a fan of BOSE or their snake oil products, but in the RX-8, it's quite punchy and just needs a sub.

I would like an amplifier placed in the trunk, and be fed from a speaker level input from the rear speakers, and use an on-board crossover on the amp itself. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid removing the HU, and having the remote wire run from somewhere else besides the HU (where?)

What I am told: Impossible. They absolutely need to go behind the HU, cut into the wiring, put in a "High/Low" (this alone pisses me off, wtf is a high-low) and run the cabling throughout the car. On top of the "high-low", I will STILL need a crossover, and need set the low pass on the amp.

C'mon, that's like 3 crossovers? WTF?

To sum it up:

I don't want to go behind HU for any reason, to add a sub to my Mazda RX-8. Reason being is a friend with an RX-8 had his car done from a "reputable" local installer and his interior is scratched deeply, and the entire dash rattles now.

Anyone know if what I want is acheivable?

I'm doing the same thing you're doing. I thought it was an easy job.

Stock Infiniti fx35 with Bose sound. Just wanting to add a sub to replace the factory Bose sub.

Hopefully it is easy.

Run the RCA to an aftermarket amp in the back, hook up the amp to the radio fuse in your fuse box.Positive and ground run to the amp.

Wire the sub, good to go.

Enjoy ;D
Thanks. What about running the remote wire to turn the amp on/off?

Is this what you meant by "hook up the amp to the radio fuse in your fuse box?" Is it really that easy?

So then I guess I am being BS'd then..? Or maybe they really are ignorant... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks. What about running the remote wire to turn the amp on/off? Is this what you meant by "hook up the amp to the radio fuse in your fuse box?" Is it really that easy?

So then I guess I am being BS'd then..? Or maybe they really are ignorant... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yes, that's what I meant sorry about that.

Might have to do your ignition fuse because some radio fuses stay hot.

It's really that easy.

That Line output converter converts speakers to RCA cables, then just hook everything up set your amp to lpf (low pass filter) and you're set.

Yes, that's what I meant sorry about that.Might have to do your ignition fuse because some radio fuses stay hot.

It's really that easy.

That Line output converter converts speakers to RCA cables, then just hook everything up set your amp to lpf (low pass filter) and you're set.
^^^ good stuff. This man just saved you some cash

The Bose amp for the RX-8 should be in the trunk under the rear deck. You can tap into both pre and post amp signals there using a line level converter or hi-lo converter. My wife had an '05 and that's where I got the signal for her equipment.

Thanks!!

Unfortunately, I won't be doing the install myself. The one install me and a friend did (in his 95 Mustang) sounded GREAT, until about 20 minutes later when the amplifier burned up and caught fire in the back...lol. Never tried it again, and is enough to turn me off from even attempting it in a newer car.

Last question. Is there an installer part to this forum? I kind of like the prices I see for some of the Classifieds stuff, but would need someone to do it for me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

The Bose amp for the RX-8 should be in the trunk under the rear deck. You can tap into both pre and post amp signals there using a line level converter or hi-lo converter. My wife had an '05 and that's where I got the signal for her equipment.
That's right. It should be under the spare. I'll check when I leave work today. Getting my spare out is one pain in the ***...lol

Dont cheap out on a LOC. By a quality unit or you will have headaches later.
I don't plan to cheap out at all. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If the amp is indeed on top of the spare, I am hoping that I could just use the Pre's there (if it has any.)

I have some Googling to do. I find stuff like this fun. I already know it's going to start with a sub...then end up with mucho dollars out my pocket lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.