Why do some people install their.........????

nofriends46
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Why do some people install their speaker upside down (showing their magnet), instead of putting it in the right way in their custom box? Is it for showcase, they sound better, hit harder.....?!?!?!

Also i'm really curious, what do you look for when your buying a subwoofer, speaker, tweeter? The DB, the Peak Watts, RMS, Looks, or just people say its just good, buy it?!?!

Whats better a Ported Box, Bandbass Box, Sealed box?!?! Any good things about these boxes and bad things about these boxes....

Originally posted by nofriends46 Why do some people install their speaker upside down (showing their magnet), instead of putting it in the right way in their custom box? Is it for showcase, they sound better, hit harder.....?!?!?!

Also i'm really curious, what do you look for when your buying a subwoofer, speaker, tweeter? The DB, the Peak Watts, RMS, Looks, or just people say its just good, buy it?!?!

Whats better a Ported Box, Bandbass Box, Sealed box?!?! Any good things about these boxes and bad things about these boxes....
Overall there should be zero sonic difference EXCEPT that which changes from your internal displacement change...

It can be for show, it can be for saving that extra .1 cubic foot...

When considering subwoofers, it's best to examine your needs as a listener, find the T/S parameters, and start designing from there...

Ported, Bandpass, and Sealed, they all have their specific uses....

The only one I don't regularly recommend is the bandpass because it masks distortion and is pretty harsh on subwoofers.

I have my two alpine type Rs inverted and firing towards the front. i inverted them so i could have more volume of air inside of the box, and i have them firing foward bc it sounds 10x better.

when it comes to subs, i look for Rms, Qmax, Xmas, Qvas, reccomended inclosure size, impedence, voice coil. I also listen to them first so i know what they sound like and wether or not they will suit my expectations.

the differences between the boxes are many and there is no magical box that will give you an all in one effect. sealed boxes handle low freqs better, ported are louder but if you go bellow the tuning freq, the sub will act as if it is in free air.

Originally posted by kid I

when it comes to subs, i look for Rms, Qmax, Xmas, Qvas, reccomended inclosure size, impedence, voice coil. I also listen to them first so i know what they sound like and wether or not they will suit my expectations.

Rms I can see.. but really isn't needed to be figured in for examination parameters.

Are the rest misprints?

Xmas? (Xmax) : linear one way travel

Qmax? (Qms) : mechanical Q of the driver at Fs

Qvas? (Vas) : volume of air required to match the drivers suspension (some consider it freeair above this mark)

Qes should be added to the list, which is the electrical Q of the driver @ Fs (Qes is a major one...)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

nofriends46

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
nofriends46
Hawaii, Kauai
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date