Why do some amps cost so much more?

The same reason a Rolls Royce Phantom costs more than a BMW 7-Series, which costs more than a Honda Accord, which costs more than a Chevy Cavalier.

The same reason some of those cars are cheaper or more expensive is the same reason some amps are more expensive or cheaper. But for most of us, we are perfectly content with the value of an Accord. The same way most of us run middle of the road amps, with a high value for the money.

Quality of parts, quality of design, quality of service, research and development, testing, manufacturing efficiencies, advertising budgets, business model, profit margins, etc.

**to answer your question, some amps are cheaply made, and others are not. Some just have high mark-ups, while others dont...the audio world is full of BS..dont get caught up, just follow your ears and wallet
Some of the best advice I've ever seen posted in this forum! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Let your ears be your guide. Find sound walls, installations, etc and demo as much equipment as you can. This will give you a better idea of real world sound than what some guys on the internet say. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Price is determined by several factors: quality, marketing, retail markup, etc, etc. You usually get what you pay for, the exceptions would be "some" of the underground type equipment.

No one, and I mean no one, uses amps like that.

The R.Clark challenge is really only proving that a good amp can be dumbed down to sound identical to a bad one. It's when you start to get into some clipping, use the amplifier's processing, and start to drive really reactive loads (or just plain old beat on your system) you start to hear the differences between a good amp and a bad one.

While everyone has already mentioned construction, I'll give another example; the newest amplifier I currently own was made in 1993. At the time, it was a $1200 amp and was 'rated' at 300w. Compared to today's amps, I would have to spend $1200 just to equal its performance. And in another 20 years, today's $1000+ amps will still be kicking and you'll have to spend a bit of coin to replace them w/o sacrificing quality.

Cheap amps just don't last long.

It's kinda hard to describe SQ of an amp on a forum w/o using audio-snob adjectives such as "warm", "airy", "tube-like", etc. But a bad sounding amp - that's easy b/c your ears will let you know it sounds like hell. The big thing, really, is having a reference. If you've never heard a good audio system (home or car) and your only music reference are those white things that came with your iPod...well...a bad amp will probably satisfy your musical needs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.