Why do my rear speakers sound louder than my front?

Participant count
  • Participant list

iCeNN
10+ year member

Ok so with the gain settings at the same for both front and back speakers, the back speakers sound a little louder and more powerful. Both pairs are Alpine Type E. What could possibly be the reason for this? How the amp was wired (I had a car audio store set up my amp)? Also when my I turn the gain knob to a high level the front speakers start to crackle/pop, but not the back speakers, at the same level of gain. Please let me know what you think.

What size are the speakers? 6x9s will theoretically be louder than 5 1/4 or 6 1/2
The one's in the back are the 6 1/2 Alpine SXE-1725S and the one's in the front are the 6 1/2 Alpine SXE-1750S. Although there are some minor differences between the two in theory one should not be louder than the other. Does anyone have any ideas?

It could be some cancellation of the bass that you hear from the driver's seat. Differences of frequency response will make one similar speaker sound louder than another of the same size. It's hard to say without more information. I wouldn't worry about it and just fade the sound toward the front or turn the gain down on the rear speakers.

What about the crackling? Is it normal for the front speakers to crackle when the gain is at a high level, but not the rear speakers at the same level?

What about the crackling? Is it normal for the front speakers to crackle when the gain is at a high level, but not the rear speakers at the same level?
I urge you not to be concerned with the relative positions of the gain knobs. Gain knobs aren't high precision devices, so it's possible even within a 4-channel amp they could be slightly different between the front and rear channels. You shouldn't be turning the gain up after you had a shop set the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.