Why Did This Happen?

DjNickCastoro
10+ year member

NYC
I was installing my subs and amp today.... My HU isnt here yet but my amp (JBL 1200.1) Has High Level Inputs so i was gonna send the rear signal to the subs just to see what it sounded like....

I had it on for about 15 mins with the car off, Just the ACC mode on, and i wanted to check my voltage with the car on so i went to start the car....

And the subs started going VRROMMMMMMMPPPPPPP VROMPPPPPPPPP and them finally stopped.... I was frantically trying to find a way to make it stop but it stopped on its own...

I ran back to the subs and they werent blown, it didnt smell at all, but the amp wasnt on. I checked the wires with a neon and no power was coming through....

So i went under the hood and my 40Amp Inline fuse Blew (THANK GOD FOR FUSES!!!!) So i got a new one and the amp turned on fine....

Anyway to make a long story short... Why did this happen????

What could have caused the subs to do that and then the fuse to blow????

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

check your RCA connection. I really have no clue, but one time i was screwing around with my home subwoofers RCA connection and if it wasnt all the way in it would do what you explained, it would just hum as loud as possible. If i plugged the RCA all the way in it was fine. I'm pretty sure home speakers/subs have some kind of protection (circuit breaker etc.) to turn them off if overplayed, and thats exactly what mine did, it just stopped. I turned the sub off for a day, and it was back to normal. MAYBE that helps...

Well i tested the subs again and they are not blown... THANK GOD!!!

Anyway i am just gonna wait till my headunit gets here before i fcuk around anymore... I was just wondering why the power would suddenly surge like that???

The same exact thing happened to me when I first did my install years ago(2 MTX thunder 4000 12's lol), and it was because when I hooked up the rca's and fired it up for the first time, I had messed with the gains and B.B. with the amp off. If you adjust the gain quite a bit with the amp off it will do this. Hope this could help. Just make sure when you adjust the gain you do it with the amp on and in very small increments. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

this has happened to me a couple times to. every time it happenes i turn the cddeck of and back on and it goes away if that doesnt work i wiggle the rca connecter i believe the problem is the rca input on the amp is loose. check it out.

from wat u read i think this is wat happened. this is just assuming u didn't hook up the remote wire. if u were using th stock hu u prob had a line inverter/converter or watever is called to plug the rcas in. but u run the power straight from the bat with no remote, so amp would always be on. and that could cause the amp to have power n just send some crazy signal to subs makingi t lkie that. it sounded better when i first thought bout it:D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.