Why are sundown subs so underrated?

NuckinFutz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Its very aggravating trying to decide which subs to buy. I'm looking at 2600-3000 watts arms from my Amps. I want the x series but I don't know if I have enough power because with the Sa's people are like "they really come alive on 1200 watts." I don't have 4k watts + of power if the x's are the same way.

Legitimate companies rate things so that they won't come back blown and they consider a power level that's pretty much retard proof. That way if somebody breaks a woofer they KNOW it was abused unless there's a really obvious mechanical defect from manufacturing.

IMO if you need to ask this question you have no business running more than rated power to a woofer and you probably should stick to the ones that honestly rate things.

Its very aggravating trying to decide which subs to buy. I'm looking at 2600-3000 watts arms from my Amps. I want the x series but I don't know if I have enough power because with the Sa's people are like "they really come alive on 1200 watts." I don't have 4k watts + of power if the x's are the same way.
it's not aggravating if you know what you're doing..... you gave me crap for selling my obsidians for $110 + $40 shipping each but can't figure out how much wattage to give a sub? credibility gone.

idk what your talking about but if your running 1250 actual rms after accounting impedance rise and voltage drops, those Xs will get down hella hard in a proper enclosure. People say you need more power to come alive because they have horrible impedance rise or low voltages and cannot make their amp's rated rms at 1 ohm. More then likely if your actually overpowering them by a few hundred watts you'd probably wont even notice the difference.

idk what your talking about but if your running 1250 actual rms after accounting impedance rise and voltage drops, those Xs will get down hella hard in a proper enclosure. People say you need more power to come alive because they have horrible impedance rise or low voltages and cannot make their amp's rated rms at 1 ohm. More then likely if your actually overpowering them by a few hundred watts you'd probably wont even notice the difference.
Okay. Thank you for an actual answer to my question.

it's not aggravating if you know what you're doing..... you gave me crap for selling my obsidians for $110 + $40 shipping each but can't figure out how much wattage to give a sub? credibility gone.
I know what I'm doing. But I have no experience with sundown subs. If they're not gonna perform best on there rms rating. Then I don't want them. If I'm supposed to give them double there power for them to actually perform properly then I don't want them. What's your input big girl. Should I run two phoenix gold ti1500s to a pair of x's or would they want more power.

They are forum boners, you say anything that might sounds even slightly against them you'll get attacked. I totally understand what you are saying man. I was wondering if 1500 watts would be enough for my HDC3(when it was rated at 1000rms.) I knew what I was doing, but everyone knows HDC3's take way more than rated.

I know what I'm doing. But I have no experience with sundown subs. If they're not gonna perform best on there rms rating. Then I don't want them. If I'm supposed to give them double there power for them to actually perform properly then I don't want them. What's your input big girl. Should I run two phoenix gold ti1500s to a pair of x's or would they want more power.
Go with the X's, you can always add more power later without having to upgrade the subs

Legitimate companies rate things so that they won't come back blown and they consider a power level that's pretty much retard proof. That way if somebody breaks a woofer they KNOW it was abused unless there's a really obvious mechanical defect from manufacturing.
IMO if you need to ask this question you have no business running more than rated power to a woofer and you probably should stick to the ones that honestly rate things.
I wasn't wanting to overpower them I was really wondering if they'd perform great on they're rated power.

they are given a conservative rating so if they blow, sundown knows it was user error. if you get a sundown sa-15 and give it 600 watts and destroy it, it's your fault as that sub can handle twice that. my obsidians (pretty much the sundown equivalent minus a couple things) were getting 1200 watts each and loved it. i had a sundown X18 on a SAZ-2000 and it tickled it. the X series would be happy with 2.5-3k.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

I wasn't wanting to overpower them I was really wondering if they'd perform great on they're rated power.
yes they perform fine on rated power but if you want them to really flop, give them over RMS ratings. again if you know what you're doing you won't have any issues. thermal or mechanical.

you can easily feed one of those subs more than RMS. i've done it, and i don't have horrible voltage drop. you can notice a slight difference when adding 500 watts in the lower range of power i.e. 2000 watts to 2500 watts. i noticed that kick drums were a bit punchier and my bass dug a little deeper.

yes they perform fine on rated power but if you want them to really flop, give them over RMS ratings. again if you know what you're doing you won't have any issues. thermal or mechanical.
OP, this is beyond incredibly important. You need to know that your signal is clean and your sub will handle the power in the enclosure it's being run in. If you're not positive, be conservative until you're sure about what you're doing. A dirty signal can easily drive a sub past it's thermal limits, and the wrong enclosure can cause mechanical failure. Sundown makes a beefy product, but every sub has it's limit.

they are given a conservative rating so if they blow, sundown knows it was user error. if you get a sundown sa-15 and give it 600 watts and destroy it, it's your fault as that sub can handle twice that. my obsidians (pretty much the sundown equivalent minus a couple things) were getting 1200 watts each and loved it. i had a sundown X18 on a SAZ-2000 and it tickled it. the X series would be happy with 2.5-3k. 

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Sweet. Guess I'll go with them then. Thanks.

Do you have metallic colors for stickers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

NuckinFutz

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
NuckinFutz
Shreveport, La
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date