Who's using 'Floating Screen' head unit? Thoughts - pros/cons?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mojo88

I'm gonna upgrade the H/U in my 2010 Cadillac Escalade EXT. It's a clunky Bose, with no Bluetooth streaming (or much of anything), and pretty horrid sound to boot. I'm seriously considering a 'floating screen' H/U. I'm a little unsure about the looks, and they are pricey, but I like the larger screen area, plus these units generally have much higher quality screen resolution.

Who's using one? Thoughts? Pics? Would you buy again?

Android 11 For Universal Car Radio Multimedia Player Gps Navigation Car Audio Stereo Head Unit 9 Inch 10.1 Inch - Car Multimedia Player - AliExpress
I bought mine from exact vendor at this link. 8+128gb 10.36" 2000x1200 lcd. Since then there now a new 8+256gb model. 360 degree cam, optical output, ect. I would just get this bundle like I did

Heres the newer version, but doesnt come bundled with extra cameras Navifly Makes Up The Price Difference (replenishes The Shipping Fee, Makes Up The Remote Fee) Without The Notice Of The Merchant - Car Multimedia Player - AliExpress
I test benched it so famailiarrize myself with it. Screen it good, boots faster than my pioneer avh-6000dvd,
pros-
  • ARM 7862-one if not the best CPU for android HU available right now, stay away from px5/6
  • 48band EQ
  • android apps! hook up to air suspension controller, carplay, android auto, dsp android apps, ect
  • Really good screen, loads apps fast,
  • awesome UI customization
  • supports max 24bit/48Khz thru optical out
  • Super thin floatscreen
  • 360 degree cam-recording functions
  • dashcam
  • OTG usb connection
  • wifi
  • High level speaker connections have good voltage and can be converted to RCA outputs for Front and Rear speakers. Also has ability to be piggybacked to the chinese DSP(I also have) which has optical input-8 outputs+4 high level speaker outputs from built-in amplifier
  • Right,Left RCA input-to hook up to pioneer avh-6000dvd cd player
cons-
  • optical output has only two discrete channels, as it has always
  • Fader and Balance control are nonfunctional with optical output, but EQ still works
  • Only three preamp outputs-left, right,sub mono and they are really low voltage, But hooked up to my JL TWK 88 DSP TO SKAR RP150.4 amp sounded just as good as the optical output.
  • Wifi signal is hit or miss when connecting to home network. I had speedtested to 35MBps DL speed and 10MBps upload
  • The 360 cam vehicle choice is pay to use 3d models, and none are of my jeep wrangler
  • Really bad con is that when the internal fan is conencted to wiring harness of screen and using preamp outputs-there is a teriible feedback thru the DSP-amp-speakers. It runs off 12volts so I will be connecting to 12source instead of the headunit.
  • Internal AMP of floatsscreen "joying" headunits does 20 rms high level output, but Im unsure of this floating one. Mine will be rerouting high level outputs from the internal amp to a model specific DSP with high level output and built in amp to run some two 1.5" full range bose speakers per channel.
I have a JL TWK88, dayton audio 408 dsp, and Sennuopu Dp X10, and audio control Epicenter. All for time alignement, bandpassed, and DSP functions of optical input/output
  • 4xEpique Dayton autio 5 1/4"
  • 4xEpique Dayton audio 7"
  • 4xRe xxx 6.5 Comps+4 silk dome tweeter
  • 4xAudiopipe 4" bullet tweeters ATR-4063
  • 4xdayton audio 4.5" CF120 full range
  • 8xBose 1.5" minilink speakers
  • 1x RE audio XXX 12"
  • Hifonics ZXX2000.4 A/B amp
  • 3x Skar audio RP150.4 A/B amps
  • 2xHifonics Brutus BXI-2610d
What i need
  • either 4Ω 4xSundown audio Neo Pro v3 8" or 4Ω SA Vex
  • 4Ω Planer tweeters
  • 4Ω DS18 Compression Drivers

1. Sennuopu Dp X10 1000w Dsp Processor Bluetooth Car Amplifier 4 Channels Class A Auto 12 V Automotivo Audio Low Amp For Car Sound - Amplifiers - AliExpress
  2. Epique E180HE-44 7" DVC MMAG Extended Range Subwoofer 4 Ohm per Coil (parts-express.com)
  3. Epique E150HE-44 5-1/2" DVC MMAG Extended Range Subwoofer 4 Ohm per Coil (parts-express.com)
  4. Dayton Audio CF120-4 4-1/2" Woven Carbon Fiber Midwoofer 4 Ohms (parts-express.com)
  5. Ghxamp 1.5 Inch 40mm Full Range Speaker 4ohm 10w Neodymium Loudspeaker Long Stroke Strong Bass Audio Unit Diy 2pcs - Speakers - AliExpress

Last edited:
I'm running a Joying unit for the optical out and love it. I do get some random weirdness occasionally, but nothing that really bothers me enough to change. The unit boots up crazy fast and has Bluetooth connected before I've even put the car in reverse.

Matt

I also run a Joying head unit. Great unit as far as being clean on the rca outputs all the way to full volume. Boots quick, apps run smoothly etc. my only complaints are that,
1.the screen is too bright at night even set to minimum brightness. It dims when you turn on the headlights, but not nearly enough. I had to download an extra dimmer app from the play store that I have to turn on manually.
2. The subwoofer crossover in the eq doesn’t work correctly. There is a second crossover in the units main settings app, that one works perfectly. The bass block settings on the full range rca output works but the number on the screen is apparently the 12db down point, not the crossover point. Once I figured those things out, I was good to go.

I also run a Joying head unit. Great unit as far as being clean on the rca outputs all the way to full volume. Boots quick, apps run smoothly etc. my only complaints are that,
1.the screen is too bright at night even set to minimum brightness. It dims when you turn on the headlights, but not nearly enough. I had to download an extra dimmer app from the play store that I have to turn on manually.
2. The subwoofer crossover in the eq doesn’t work correctly. There is a second crossover in the units main settings app, that one works perfectly. The bass block settings on the full range rca output works but the number on the screen is apparently the 12db down point, not the crossover point. Once I figured those things out, I was good to go.

I agree with the brightness thing. I have mine set to black out in 5 seconds, lol. Never noticed the crossover issue since my dsp handles crossovers and whatnot. I will say the EQ is pretty damn nice tho. You can adjust the Q factor for each individual frequency in the range.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...