Who here prefers single sub setups, does power compression really affect them that badly?

Kybasshead75

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Ky
I can definitely fit a single 15 or two 12s in my build I'm about to start @ about 4-4.5 cubes. I have always run multiple subs but really interested in a SSA evil. Anyone with single sub setups notice that power compression makes the subs get too hot and lowers performance those evils look pretty badass, and I know from experience single large subs deliver more powerful bass than many smaller ones do.

I recone mine with an alarming frequency (single 3" coil). I suppose its all user error and the need to get louder (clippity-clip).

Once I redo it I'll go with multiple subs next time.

I run single sub setups most of the time because I need the space for family reasons. One day I will have a vehicle I can throw some real power in

I recone mine with an alarming frequency (single 3" coil). I suppose its all user error and the need to get louder (clippity-clip).

Once I redo it I'll go with multiple subs next time.
Yeah I was thinking about the big 4-in coil with the SSA evil but still that much power in one spot is bound to get really hot I've always had the best luck running 4 tens myself for daily music

Yeah I was thinking about the big 4-in coil with the SSA evil but still that much power in one spot is bound to get really hot I've always had the best luck running 4 tens myself for daily music
I got the db's I was after but am limited on play time once I get in that mode. "wipers jumping"

I'm going with more subs and cone next time just to be able to back off and make it last.
In your case a 4" will be able to handle more thermal abuse but even then you'd be limited if enough power was in the equation, then of course with a single... you might get stoopid looking for more output like me.
I swear I ought to be studied due to my happy clipping tendencies. It gets expensive reconing all the time.

But its fun while it lasts

If I go with duals, then, I at least want 8's or 10's. After that, I can live with a single good 12" or 15". I'm actually thinking of changing my current setup to dual 12's and taking out the 15. Same power and box though. That's what is holding back. I'm thinking is 4 cubes net enough for two 12's?

Anyone with single sub setups notice that power compression makes the subs get too hot and lowers performance
Really depends on the sub and how much power. There's always a tradeoff on efficiency too. A JL W6 would probably outperform SSA Evil on 300W but at 3000W the Evil should be able to survive for a little while where the W6 was making smoke back at 600W.

I've seen very few 4" coil subs that really impress me apart from TC4hp platform and DD 99XX. 3" 8 layer such as Fi BTL may be superior in efficiency and thermal power handling than most of the 4" 4 layer stuff out there. 4" 8 layer will never be efficient but if you want to run 3500W sine wave into it indefinitely just for the sake of bragging how much power your sub can handle that's probably the way to go.

At the end of the day I don't think people really understand how logarithmic scale works and how little output you get for more power even all other things being equal. After a point, adding more power is probably the worst way to try to get louder and certainly the least cost effective.

If I go with duals, then, I at least want 8's or 10's. After that, I can live with a single good 12" or 15". I'm actually thinking of changing my current setup to dual 12's and taking out the 15. Same power and box though. That's what is holding back. I'm thinking is 4 cubes net enough for two 12's?
There are some good options for 12’s that work around 2 cubes each so you can do it. If it were me, I’d seal up your slot port and go to aero ports if you want to keep that box for 2 12’s.

Really depends on the sub and how much power. There's always a tradeoff on efficiency too. A JL W6 would probably outperform SSA Evil on 300W but at 3000W the Evil should be able to survive for a little while where the W6 was making smoke back at 600W.

I've seen very few 4" coil subs that really impress me apart from TC4hp platform and DD 99XX. 3" 8 layer such as Fi BTL may be superior in efficiency and thermal power handling than most of the 4" 4 layer stuff out there. 4" 8 layer will never be efficient but if you want to run 3500W sine wave into it indefinitely just for the sake of bragging how much power your sub can handle that's probably the way to go.

At the end of the day I don't think people really understand how logarithmic scale works and how little output you get for more power even all other things being equal. After a point, adding more power is probably the worst way to try to get louder and certainly the least cost effective.

Yeah I can't keep my eyes off of those new fibtl neos! With enough electrical behind them they will be plenty for me, if you want good subs I feel like if I is the best bargain out there right now along with needing to save weight on my install.
Fi btls o man, worth every penny!

There are some good options for 12’s that work around 2 cubes each so you can do it. If it were me, I’d seal up your slot port and go to aero ports if you want to keep that box for 2 12’s.
Agreed, I always prefer an aeroport box! You can push them a little harder with less Port noise many advantages to aeros imo

Yeah I can't keep my eyes off of those new fibtl neos! With enough electrical behind them they will be plenty for me, if you want good subs I feel like if I is the best bargain out there right now along with needing to save weight on my install.
Fi btls o man, worth every penny!
BTL line has always been very strong at their price point and American Made. Downside is there can be a significant wait on build times from Fi.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.