Who here prefers single sub setups, does power compression really affect them that badly?

BTL line has always been very strong at their price point and American Made. Downside is there can be a significant wait on build times from Fi.
While I love some good SPL I used to be a musician and have a picky ear are those btls capable of musical clarity as well. I love my rock and detail in the music too.

While I love some good SPL I used to be a musician and have a picky ear are those btls capable of musical clarity as well. I love my rock and detail in the music too.
If you're running 2500W to a BTL 15 you're well beyond "SQ" levels of output. I personally like the sound of overdamped subs, you may need to play with box volume and tuning that works well in your vehicle but really your subs are doing such a tiny bandwidth there's no reason you can't make just about anything do what you want with some attention to box building.

If you're running 2500W to a BTL 15 you're well beyond "SQ" levels of output. I personally like the sound of overdamped subs, you may need to play with box volume and tuning that works well in your vehicle but really your subs are doing such a tiny bandwidth there's no reason you can't make just about anything do what you want with some attention to box building.

This has been my experience as well I have ran many for subsealed setups but for ported I prefer a smaller box volume and slightly higher tuning so there's less group delay and a little more impact with rock my taste for output probably is well beyond normal SQ levels in all honesty lol

The main advantage of aero ports over slot ports is saving enclosure space. A properly built slot port shouldn't have any noticeable port noise due to the large port area allowing for relatively low air velocity inside the vent, but at the cost of requiring more space.

The main advantage of aero ports over slot ports is saving enclosure space. A properly built slot port shouldn't have any noticeable port noise due to the large port area allowing for relatively low air velocity inside the vent, but at the cost of requiring more space.
This reminds me of a single 15 I heard in my buddy's Mitsubishi eclipse it was a big single slot port on the other side of the box than the sub and it was being pushed very hard with no Port noise he told me he used a little extra Port area I'm going with arrows in my Civic because they definitely do save space

Yep. The idea behind a slot port is enough port area that the center of the port displaces the majority of the air, so that the sharp corners and edges of a slot port encounter very little air movement that would cause turbulence. But again, this is at the expense of an increased enclosure size.

Yep. The idea behind a slot port is enough port area that the center of the port displaces the majority of the air, so that the sharp corners and edges of a slot port encounter very little air movement that would cause turbulence. But again, this is at the expense of an increased enclosure size.

What if your slot port has 45's and all interior pieces are routered with a ½ round? Is aero port still better, or, minimal difference?

What if your slot port has 45's and all interior pieces are routered with a ½ round? Is aero port still better, or, minimal difference?
Anything you do that improves air circulation in an enclosure is going to give you better sound, I would say the difference might be small enough to not even be heard. I have heard a few really good sounding slotport boxes but I always go with aeros so I can experiment with different port lengths and sub/ port orientations in the vehicle before finalizing the box. When a slot box is done it's done!

Anything you do that improves air circulation in an enclosure is going to give you better sound, I would say the difference might be small enough to not even be heard. I have heard a few really good sounding slotport boxes but I always go with aeros so I can experiment with different port lengths and sub/ port orientations in the vehicle before finalizing the box. When a slot box is done it's done!

I keep getting letters from my HOA!. So, I can't even play my shiitt!

Both a slot port and an aero port can give you what you are looking for... adequate air movement with no audible port noise from turbulence... if given the proper amount of port area. An aeroport will simply do it in a more compact design because of the lack of sharp edges. Aeroports help with enclosure size, not really enclosure performance, contrary to popular belief.

Last edited:
I’ve got 2 subs but in hindsight I honestly would have been happy with half the power and only one 10 or 12” sub. My bass now can easily overpower the mid/highs volume that I’m comfortable listening to for any length of time so I keep the sub amp throttled back considerably. That being said, visually I always thought a single sub just doesn’t look right vs two. Everyone’s preference is different, but if I were doing a new car/system tomorrow I’d just use a single sub - more than enough....but then again I’m getting old too. lol

Of course if max SPL if your thing...

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.