Whining Noise

Participant count
  • Participant list

DOOM_NX
10+ year member

Hello.

I know this question has been asked many times before, but I just need your opinion in this special case:

I got engine whining noise (like a small turbine) that varies with engine's RPM coming from the tweeters.

This happens only when the engine is on and the headunit volume is at anything but "00". "Mute" option also doesn't make it stop.

If I stress the battery, for expample if I operate the electrical windows, turn on the headlights and press the brake at the same time (lol), the whining doubles or triples in volume.

And, finally, something came to my attention recently: Normally, I connect the HU output to the sub amplifier input. Then from the sub amplifier output to the speaker amplifier input. If I connect the RCA cables from the HU directly to the speaker amplifier input, then the problem goes away.

You would obviously suggest a Y-adapter, but I wanna make sure my sub amplifier isn't faulty.

Do you think the integrated passthrough circuit is the culprit? Or maybe a bad ground?

Both sub and speaker amps are grounded at the same point (a screw below rear seat)

Please, any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

DOOM_NX

Well, if the HU was the cause, wouldn't the problem persist when connecting the Speaker Amplifier directly to the HU?

To make it clear:

HU --RCA--> Kicker ZX --RCA--> Hertz EP

This is the whining one.

HU --RCA--> Hertz EP

This is the one without problem (of course subwoofer is not working)

I guess if i make it:

Code:
                   Hertz EP
                  /
HU --RCA-Y-Adapter->
                  \
                   Kicker ZX
The problem will go away...

But what might be the cause? Kicker ZX *****?

I'm not all the way clear on your setup. Does your HU not have 3 sets of preouts?

It could be a bunch of things though. I would start with gounding or using a different set of RCAs. Which ones are you using? From the many threads on this it sounds like you blew the pico fuse in your HU. Did you ever hot swap the RCAs while the power was on? I've owned 3 Pioneer HUs in my life and 2 of them did that. My 800PRS didn't because I never do anything with the car on. I got rid of the noise somewhat with my 690UB by doing the suggested.

OK, I understand that u want me to ground the RCA of the Headunit.

This Pioneer only has 1 RCAout pair.

IF RCA needed grounding, then I would hear the "turbo" noise when I would connect the speaker amplifier only. That is not the case. The only time I hear that noise is when I connect the subwoofer amplifier to the headunit and run another RCA from that amplifier to the speaker one.

I hope you get what I mean... I use the Kicker ZX as "splitter". When I don't do that, no noise.

can you do it in reverse order? does your other amp have a pass thru? if not, based on what you have said so far i would say that you were correct in thinking the zx is the problem. if using a y splitter solves it then go that way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.