Whine in stock speakers

low00ranger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
USA
We did this install in a 2003 S-10 with a basic Sony head unit. For about a month it was completely stock except the Sony head unit and didn't have any whine. I installed a set of old old old MTX Terminator 12s on a Hifonics 1606d at 2 ohms and now the system is giving a faint whine from the stock door speakers only. The whine does not increase pitch with RPMs. No bad noises from the subs. I didn't change anything on the headunit except for connecting RCAs and amp remote wire. The amp has a decent ground with paint scratched off, RCAs are somewhat cheap Scoshe, and head unit uses stock ground. I'm trying to figure out how adding a sub amp introduced noise to the stock speakers???

x2...focus on the grounds first...my whine was not volume related either and when I did the "Big 3" and changed the block to chassis ground and removed the OEM block to chassis ground...whine gone.

Well I moved the stock head unit ground to a couple different location, same whine. No better no worse. In all cases, the whine goes away when I disconnect the sub amp RCAs from the back of the head unit. They are cheapo wal-mart RCAs so I'm thinking we just need to replace them with something better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.