Which Wire To Use

Hey everyone, so I am trying to decide what wire to use (obviously 0 gauge, but of course not all 0 gauge is made equal) in my new setup this summer. First I wanna say that I am pretty firm on using Knu's wire as I have had a great experience with them in the past. So anyway, my setup will include a 2500W RMS amp running 2 SSA GCON's, and then a 5 channel amp running 125W x4 for the door speakers and tweets, and then 325W on the 5th channel for a JL 6.5 sub I am putting behind the rear seats. I am looking at the KCA Kandy Kable and the Kolossus Kandy Kable, both 0 gauge, the KCA can handle 250A at 20ft and is CCA cable, while the Kolossus can handle 350A at 20ft and is OFC wire. My main question is, do I really need the Kolossus cable for my setup or would the KCA be just fine? I would prefer to use the KCA as it's half the price, but if needed I will spend more as I hate replacing wire lol. Thanks for any help, and thanks to everyone that has helped me with my last few posts!

If you're looking at the Kolossus for the colors, ok. If you don't care about how pretty it is, then I think $3.65 a foot is a rip off. I got my 2/0 OFC cable at $2.33 a foot. Here is the company I got it from items in ACDCELECTRICPARTS store on eBay! It's a really good cable with a heavy duty insulator, and this stuff is pretty darn flexible!! Just a thought for you. Granted, I needed 60 feet of the stuff, so I didn't want expensive, but it's your money so do what you want. The Kolossus, from what I understand, is good stuff! Just don't go with the KCA because it's CCA. You need a much bigger cable to handle the same load as CCA.

If you're looking at the Kolossus for the colors, ok. If you don't care about how pretty it is, then I think $3.65 a foot is a rip off. I got my 2/0 OFC cable at $2.33 a foot. Here is the company I got it from items in ACDCELECTRICPARTS store on eBay! It's a really good cable with a heavy duty insulator, and this stuff is pretty darn flexible!! Just a thought for you. Granted, I needed 60 feet of the stuff, so I didn't want expensive, but it's your money so do what you want. The Kolossus, from what I understand, is good stuff! Just don't go with the KCA because it's CCA. You need a much bigger cable to handle the same load as CCA.
Seems like a decent place, but I don't see any 0 Gauge wire on there for a good price right now, the 2/0 stuff is there, but that's a bit too large for my application. I do really like the colors as well, but if I can save some money and get something with worse colors than that's fine. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the note about the CCA wire, figured that was the case so I wont' be doing that.

On the left side of that page do a search in their store for "1/0 excelene". 1/0 is the same as 0 gauge. Plenty of stuff on there. Not sure how many feet you need, but 30 feet (15 red/15 black) for $68 is still inexpensive, and they sell a variety of lengths in either single color or dual.

On the left side of that page do a search in their store for "1/0 excelene". 1/0 is the same as 0 gauge. Plenty of stuff on there. Not sure how many feet you need, but 30 feet (15 red/15 black) for $68 is still inexpensive, and they sell a variety of lengths in either single color or dual.
Ah I see it now, interesting, that is really well priced stuff. Would the 1/0 accommodate around 300A without issue? Just want to be on the safe side and not buy wire that's not good enough. I like how Knu lists the amperage handling.

For excelene welding cable, one company says 300 is no problem. Another says 285. Another says 310. This is for continuous welding use. So for our purposes, where you shouldn't be running anywhere near that number but for a split second, I'd say you're fine.

For excelene welding cable, one company says 300 is no problem. Another says 285. Another says 310. This is for continuous welding use. So for our purposes, where you shouldn't be running anywhere near that number but for a split second, I'd say you're fine.
Alright cool, thanks for that! I will probably end up going with that then!

Seems like a decent place, but I don't see any 0 Gauge wire on there for a good price right now, the 2/0 stuff is there, but that's a bit too large for my application. I do really like the colors as well, but if I can save some money and get something with worse colors than that's fine. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the note about the CCA wire, figured that was the case so I wont' be doing that.
2/0 welding will fit in 1/0 lugs its more tightly packed and condensed and higher quality/purity than car audio wire. You'd be a fool to buy overpriced car audio wire nowadays.

go with ofc welding cable over "quality" cca any day. less corrosion, more ampacity, better long term durability.

i picked up some radnor welding cable local and its great, paid about 2 a foot for 1/0 ofc. id have no hesitation giving 1/0 ofc a 300a load as long as it isnt continuous and the fusing, terminations, etc are all handled properly because thats where you'll have problems with heat. if you have the money get 2/0 welding cable but its really not that big of a difference. maybe 50a.

2/0 welding will fit in 1/0 lugs its more tightly packed and condensed and higher quality/purity than car audio wire. You'd be a fool to buy overpriced car audio wire nowadays.
ohhhh I was unaware that it was the same size stuff, well I will probably be going for that then! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

go with ofc welding cable over "quality" cca any day. less corrosion, more ampacity, better long term durability.
i picked up some radnor welding cable local and its great, paid about 2 a foot for 1/0 ofc. id have no hesitation giving 1/0 ofc a 300a load as long as it isnt continuous and the fusing, terminations, etc are all handled properly because thats where you'll have problems with heat. if you have the money get 2/0 welding cable but its really not that big of a difference. maybe 50a.
Yeah I'll be sure to keep that in mind, sounds like 1/0 or 2/0 would work fine so I will go with whichever I can afford!

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

welding wire and call it a day!! lol
Well this seems to be what everyone is saying so I'll do that!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.