Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

chargers
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm going to be switching very soon. I'm just curious which sub will be better. I am comparing a 12 to a 15. The e15a is ported at 2.2cf @ 30hz. The 12" XXX will be ported at 2.5 or 3.0cf tuned to 25hz.

The reason I'm not comparing a 15"xxx to the e15a is because of trunk space. I won't be able to fit a properly sized box for a 15"xxx, and the e15a do well in smaller boxes.

The 15 will be louder b/c:

1. more cone area...15's simply get louder and lower than 12's off the same power and enclosure specs.

2. Slightly higher tune...less flat of a response, more SPL.

In terms of SQ, both are excellent, excellent subs. Very tough call, but I'd probably say the 12" XXX, simply because of the lower tuned box.

Ok.. another scenario:

12" XXX vs e15a

Both same size, same tuning.

Which one wins in sq/spl/overall now?

I'm really just curous because I haven't been able to test out different sized enclosures. I know the lower the tuning, the better sq, the higher the tuning, the more spl. I just don't know the audible difference between 25hz, 30hz, and 35hz.

Ok.. another scenario:
12" XXX vs e15a

Both same size, same tuning.

Which one wins in sq/spl/overall now?

I'm really just curous because I haven't been able to test out different sized enclosures. I know the lower the tuning, the better sq, the higher the tuning, the more spl. I just don't know the audible difference between 25hz, 30hz, and 35hz.
The e15a and the AE are supposed to just about be the same driver. So, the scenario is largely the same.

Personally, I would go with the 15, and just see if you can't tune a bit lower or just go sealed to really keep your trunk space.

The 15 will be louder b/c:
1. more cone area...15's simply get louder and lower than 12's off the same power and enclosure specs.

2. Slightly higher tune...less flat of a response, more SPL.

In terms of SQ, both are excellent, excellent subs. Very tough call, but I'd probably say the 12" XXX, simply because of the lower tuned box.
So a 15" woofer with 3mm of one way travel will get louder than a 12" with 30mm of one way movement? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

P.S.- if you can fit 3-3.25 cubes net, you can fit a 15" XXX...

The e15a and the AE are supposed to just about be the same driver. So, the scenario is largely the same.
Personally, I would go with the 15, and just see if you can't tune a bit lower or just go sealed to really keep your trunk space.
The e15a and the AE are the same.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Did you mean e15a and XXX?

The reason I'm thinking about switching to an XXX is because I'm afraid of blowing another A. I've blown a flat piston and an AE. I've never dealt with blown subs before other than these. I've gone through 2 12" old school rockfords, 2 12" PPI's, 12" unknown brand sub.

I do think it was my fault because I was clipping and I have no SSF. After blowing the second sub it's made me more cautious than ever to run a sub without one. So now I'm planning on re-doing my system by getting a new sub, new amp w/ SSF.

I could just save a lot more money by just getting a new box for the e15a. But I am curious about an XXX, even if I would have to go from a 15" to a 12". And I'm even more cautious about running an eD sub, regardless of it being my fault.

So.. any other opinions on which will sound better in sq/spl/overall?

either driver is going to sound amazering.
charlie, why do you want a class a/b amp for subs?
Maybe he wants a nice heater too?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So a 15" woofer with 3mm of one way travel will get louder than a 12" with 30mm of one way movement?
don't make me come over there...you know how a Sony P5 will destroy these XXX things people keep talking about //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

money is no object when it comes to sony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The e15a and the AE are the same.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Did you mean e15a and XXX?

The reason I'm thinking about switching to an XXX is because I'm afraid of blowing another A. I've blown a flat piston and an AE. I've never dealt with blown subs before other than these. I've gone through 2 12" old school rockfords, 2 12" PPI's, 12" unknown brand sub.

I do think it was my fault because I was clipping and I have no SSF. After blowing the second sub it's made me more cautious than ever to run a sub without one. So now I'm planning on re-doing my system by getting a new sub, new amp w/ SSF.

I could just save a lot more money by just getting a new box for the e15a. But I am curious about an XXX, even if I would have to go from a 15" to a 12". And I'm even more cautious about running an eD sub, regardless of it being my fault.

So.. any other opinions on which will sound better in sq/spl/overall?
From a completely uninformed standpoint, I would say the 15ae would have better SQ, but from what you just posted I would say go with the XXX. I think you would enjoy the 'security' of the RE brand, and enjoy something new. Just make sure you fit the 15.

As to what I said earlier, in one post you say AE, then you say just A. It sounded like you were wondering what the differences were between the two.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.