Which way to power Germaniums?

TSC17
10+ year member

I just installed my Germaniums and DLS A7 amp (4-ch x 60w, + sub ch @ 440w), and am in the process of experimenting/tuning.

There are several ways I can configure this install, and wanted to get some educated feedback from the forum. Please let me know your thoughts and/or suggestions.

1. (current configuration). Run in passive mode...bi-amp with 60w per

Pros: Utilize attenuation and tweeter protection of Rainbow crossover

2. Active in bi-amp with 60w per.

Cons: Lose attenuation and tweeter protection. May be too harsh on top end?

3. Passive mode, but bridging the A7 to get 200w per.

Pros: attenuation and tweeter protection. More power.

Cons: More power...need to be careful with gains. Germs rated at 150w

Thanks.

Option 1 still going to sound good if you do the install right and deaden the doors and such.
The doors (and the rest of the car) are solid...did the deadening a few months back.

Just need to take the time and do some fine tuning matching the levels of the mid drivers and tweeters.

Dont make life harder for yourself. Start by going passive. The freq selection options that passive gives you independently for both drivers should keep you busy before itching to go active.

Dont make life harder for yourself. Start by going passive. The freq selection options that passive gives you independently for both drivers should keep you busy before itching to go active.
Agreed. But passive in bi-amp mode of 60 x 4, or passive with bridge mode at 200 x 2?

Thanks guys. I'll probably do a little tuning at the current configuration (and write down the settings), and then try the bridge mode for comparisons. I did the same with a Zapco amp and eD comps, and found that they really performed much better with the higher bridged power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.