Which speakers.

Conductor78

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ohio
It's been a while since I've had a system. I still have my old school rockford fosgate punch 800.2 from 20 years ago. Still works fine. I'm lost with all the new tech out today. If anyone can help I am wanting to use 4 subs with this amp like I had back in the day. Can anyone give some advice on what speakers I could use without breaking the bank and the best way to wire them. 2ohm 4 ohm so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can get DVC subs if you want to. Both of these diagrams should work for you. I'm assuming that is a two channel amp.

Screenshot_20220508-173233_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220508-173405_Chrome.jpg

Another option. I bought 8 tens (4 dvc4) (4dvc2) Ohm Javelins and ran a pair each on a PPI Phantom 1000.1d and they did very well. Not Ground shakers by any means, but filled the gap for sub duty. 12s and 15s are cheap enough to purchase.

I am wanting to use 4 subs with this amp like I had back in the day.
So the main thing that has changed here is that power is extremely cheap. For sub duty we're down to 10 cents per watt or less on amps that are reasonably reliable new with warranty AND this is going to be stuff that's extremely efficient which will run cool and not require nearly as much electrical upgrades to properly feed.

With so much cheap power the subwoofer technology has moved more and more into things with enormous power handling most of which are designed to perform in a (usually large) ported box.

It is extremely likely you could take your 4 sub budget, buy just 1 larger cone higher power handling driver, put it in the same airspace, and outperform the 4 1990s tier woofers. The idea of packing as much cone area as possible into a car is rather long dead outside of some niche applications and results speak for themselves as to the superiority of fewer woofers in adequate airspace.

I would not expect a whole lot of life out of a 20 year old amp, the 20 year mark is roughly when electrolytic capacitors start to break down so your old RF may be in need of a restoration in the near future if you wish to use it going forward. I would not use a class A/B amp for sub duty under any circumstances these days and outside of nostalgia value they have nothing to offer over modern class D designs.

Anyway, what exactly are you trying to accomplish and how much space are you willing to sacrifice for this project in what sort of vehicle?

So the main thing that has changed here is that power is extremely cheap. For sub duty we're down to 10 cents per watt or less on amps that are reasonably reliable new with warranty AND this is going to be stuff that's extremely efficient which will run cool and not require nearly as much electrical upgrades to properly feed.

With so much cheap power the subwoofer technology has moved more and more into things with enormous power handling most of which are designed to perform in a (usually large) ported box.

It is extremely likely you could take your 4 sub budget, buy just 1 larger cone higher power handling driver, put it in the same airspace, and outperform the 4 1990s tier woofers. The idea of packing as much cone area as possible into a car is rather long dead outside of some niche applications and results speak for themselves as to the superiority of fewer woofers in adequate airspace.

I would not expect a whole lot of life out of a 20 year old amp, the 20 year mark is roughly when electrolytic capacitors start to break down so your old RF may be in need of a restoration in the near future if you wish to use it going forward. I would not use a class A/B amp for sub duty under any circumstances these days and outside of nostalgia value they have nothing to offer over modern class D designs.

Anyway, what exactly are you trying to accomplish and how much space are you willing to sacrifice for this project in what sort of vehicle?
To be honest I'm building a wall in my garage. I was gonna use my old amp because I know what it is. Everything today is big watts really cheap price. I really don't think you can get 5000 watts for $100. I was only gonna base my subs off the old punch amp I had because I know what it is. Im sure the technology is crazy once I really dig into it. Everything I read has mixed reviews on what everyone calls budget class. What I'm gonna build has no limits. 4 subs was only gonna be a start. If the price for budget subs and amps are worth it that's what I'm gonna use. Is there a sub and amp combo you recommend? I'm gonna fill a wall eventually. Don't really know why just something I have in my head to do lol. But any recommendations would be appreciated. Subs amps mids highs all of it. Thanks for the help.

It's been a while since I've had a system. I still have my old school rockford fosgate punch 800.2 from 20 years ago. Still works fine. I'm lost with all the new tech out today. If anyone can help I am wanting to use 4 subs with this amp like I had back in the day. Can anyone give some advice on what speakers I could use without breaking the bank and the best way to wire them. 2ohm 4 ohm so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am running all Skar Audio speakers off of all 6 of my old school (98 through 04) Rockford Fosgate amps

How many subs do you have and what amp pushes them?
1 EVL-10 D2 Sub in a box I made to fit where the center seat used to be in my 12 Sierra. The 1200-1D pushes it.
1 Rockford Fosgate Prime R2D4-10 in a prefab box in my wifes car pushed with one of my Rockford Fosgate 301M amps
1 Skar Audio SDR D4-10 Sub being pushed by another 301M in my Daughter's car
1 Skar SDR D4-8 pushed by my Rockford Fosgate Punch 3002

1 EVL-10 D2 Sub in a box I made to fit where the center seat used to be in my 12 Sierra. The 1200-1D pushes it.
1 Rockford Fosgate Prime R2D4-10 in a prefab box in my wifes car pushed with one of my Rockford Fosgate 301M amps
My Rockford Fosgate 200a4 pushes 4 pairs of Skar 6.5" and 1" silk dome components... All at 2 ohm per chanel... Yes it is very happy that way

Nice. Everyone says skar is the way to go. I am wanting to build a speaker wall in my garage. Multiple subs,mids,highs all of it. Other than skar is there a budget friendly set up you would recommend? I know I will spend more than I want to but i just want to get something that will work and not spend too much. Compared to 25 years ago I'm lost. Back then there was only four subs and amps worth getting. Now I don't know where to even begin.

Wire 4 of these down to 2 ohm. That amp should be 2 ohm stable. Id recommend placing a fan on that amp to keep it cooler
It is a 2 channel, so only stable at 4 Ohms bridged.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...