Which Speakers? Boss P65.4C or Rockford Fosgate R165x3? Help me choose, please.

Hi All.

Looking for opinions if you're willing.

A little background...

I am building very much a budget system for my teeny tiny 2006 Toyota Yaris RS 5-door hatchback. I will be adding some sound deadening material to the doors and a few other spots.

The head unit is a factory fit Chinese Android 6.1. This will be my 5th factory fit Android unit (I change cars a lot, lol) and I have had no issues with the exception of one touchscreen failure.

I have built similar systems in my cars and I know they are not 'audiophile grade' but I have been able to achieve pretty respectable results using the PowerAmp digital processing app EQ and other settings.

Basically, below is my system and I can't decide on which speakers to use with it, though something tells me to go with the Rockford Fosgates. I actually have 2 pairs each of the Rockford Fosgates and the Boss speakers sitting on the table next to me. Whichever sets don't get used, go up for sale on kijiji classifieds.

Here is my question: The Boss speakers appear to be able to handle more power and my amp is rated at 100 RMS/channel. The Fosgates are rated at 45w RMS. I can adjust the gain on my amp of course, but given the two choices, which would you pick? And why? The above said, I ran a set of the same series Boss speakers in a 5.25 dash configuration in an older van and they sounded quite good actually.

Speaker Possibility 1 - Boss PC65.4C

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS-Audio-P65-4C-400-Watt-Per-Pair-6-5-Inch-Full-Range-4-Way-Car-Speakers/152723188966?_trkparms=pageci%3Ae99ce8b1-1fbb-11e8-a060-74dbd18051f8%7Cparentrq%3Af18196dc1610abc0f52d4c9dfffd5132%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

Speaker Possibility 2: Rockford Fosgate R165x3

Prime 6.50" 3-Way Full-Range Speaker | Rockford Fosgate ®

Amp: Dual DA701L 4-channel Class D amp:

DA704L - Class D Digital 4 Channel Amplifier*| Dual Electronics

Subwoofer: NVX QBus8v.2 8" powered low profile sub box:

https://www.nvx.com/qbus8v2-8-quickbass-universal-subwoofer-system/

I welcome any opinons regarding speaker selection for those willing to offer them. I have read reviews on both speakers but am also looking for any experience you may have had with either.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All.
Looking for opinions if you're willing.

A little background...

I am building very much a budget system for my teeny tiny 2006 Toyota Yaris RS 5-door hatchback. I will be adding some sound deadening material to the doors and a few other spots.

The head unit is a factory fit Chinese Android 6.1. This will be my 5th factory fit Android unit (I change cars a lot, lol) and I have had no issues with the exception of one touchscreen failure.

I have built similar systems in my cars and I know they are not 'audiophile grade' but I have been able to achieve pretty respectable results using the PowerAmp digital processing app EQ and other settings.

Basically, below is my system and I can't decide on which speakers to use with it, though something tells me to go with the Rockford Fosgates. I actually have 2 pairs each of the Rockford Fosgates and the Boss speakers sitting on the table next to me. Whichever sets don't get used, go up for sale on kijiji classifieds.

Here is my question: The Boss speakers appear to be able to handle more power and my amp is rated at 100 RMS/channel. The Fosgates are rated at 45w RMS. I can adjust the gain on my amp of course, but given the two choces, which would you pick? And why? The above said, I ran a set of the same series Boss speakers in a 5.25 dash configuration in an older van and they sounded quite good actually.

Speaker Possibility 1 - Boss PC65.4C

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS-Audio-P65-4C-400-Watt-Per-Pair-6-5-Inch-Full-Range-4-Way-Car-Speakers/152723188966?_trkparms=pageci%3Ae99ce8b1-1fbb-11e8-a060-74dbd18051f8%7Cparentrq%3Af18196dc1610abc0f52d4c9dfffd5132%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

Speaker Possibility 2: Rockford Fosgate R165x3

Prime 6.50" 3-Way Full-Range Speaker | Rockford Fosgate ®

Amp: Dual DA701L 4-channel Class D amp:

DA704L - Class D Digital 4 Channel Amplifier*| Dual Electronics

Subwoofer: NVX QBus8v.2 8" powered low profile sub box:

https://www.nvx.com/qbus8v2-8-quickbass-universal-subwoofer-system/

I welcome any opinons regarding speaker selection for those willing to offer them. I have read reviews on both speakers but am also looking for any experience you may have had with either.

Thanks!
anything related to boss and dual when it comes to speakers and speaker amps, take their power ratings and divide it by 4. When it comes to subwoofers and sub amps, take their power ratings divide it by 10. Boss and dual is pure garbage and will lie straight to your face when it comes to power ratings and numbers. Its just how their company's business model works. Overbloat cheap garbage to sell to unsuspecting noobs. I'd recommend looking at a list of garbage car audio brands vs trusted and sticking with that.

Thanks for the input. I watched an amp dyno test on the Dual monoblock from the same series and the reviewer seemed quite impressed, specifically with its output.

Here is a video link:

Maybe Dual has improved its products. I think I did read that somewhere.

I expected that the Boss products are highly over-rated. There are probably better offerings in that price range or for a bit more $$$.

The Rockford Fosgates are CEA-2031 rated, so they are likely the better bet, if that standard is any real indication of quality in a 'real world' setting.

I did own one Dual 2-channel amp (XPE2700) and found it a decent performer. It provided clean, undistorted sound in my old Dodge Grand Caravan, and was paired with an MTX 8" powered sub tube.

As stated, I'm definitely doing a budget system as an improvement in both functionality and sound quality over the stock system. I'd love a set of Infinity Kappas or JBL GTOs, or even, for a bit less, the NVX VSP65's, but just not wanting to put the money into it. I have a couple kids with college funds to contribute to, plus travel, hefty mortgage payment etc, etc. An audiophile type system in my car isn't what I'm looking for at this point.

Thanks for the input. I watched an amp dyno test on the Dual monoblock from the same series and the reviewer seemed quite impressed, specifically with its output.
Here is a video link:

whatever's on that amp dyno does not translate to any of their other lines. That particular amp is outsourced from korea, not china. The ones you are looking at is pure chinese junk. There's good amps and speakers out there and you arent looking at them. You can definitely do a lot of things with a low budget if you do it right. No one in here is telling you to buy 500 dollar amps and speakers but we do steer you away from potential brick doorstops that usually break and fail within a week or two or give HORRIBLE performance for the money.

Speaker ratings doesnt matter anywhere near as the TS parameters, sensitivity and frequency response along with contructed materials.

whatever's on that amp dyno does not translate to any of their other lines. That particular amp is outsourced from korea, not china. The ones you are looking at is pure chinese junk. There's good amps and speakers out there and you arent looking at them. You can definitely do a lot of things with a low budget if you do it right. No one in here is telling you to buy 500 dollar amps and speakers but we do steer you away from potential brick doorstops that usually break and fail within a week or two or give HORRIBLE performance for the money.
Speaker ratings doesnt matter anywhere near as the TS parameters, sensitivity and frequency response along with contructed materials.
Actually, the Dual 4-channel amp I bought is also korean made. I wasn't looking at amps as I already bought that one. I run a Clarion XC1410 in my current van and also ran one in my former Kia crossover. These proved to be good amps at a very reasonable price.

no bass or dual.. no amped subs.. 1 10 in a sealed box would make more bass with like a real 300 rms amp (again no boss pa etc)
Sorry, not exactly sure what you're getting at. If you're talking about the NVX powered sub I linked, the only reason I bought that is so it can fit under the seat. I can't give up any room elsewhere in the car. I don't expect it will perform nearly as well as the MTX I have in my van which gives pretty impressive bass. It's capable of shaking the rearview mirror, but that's not my interest in the least. I just want to round out the bottom end.

I've read a lot of positive reviews about the MTX sub and my experience has been extremely positive. Again, I was just looking for a little low end, but am surprised at how capable this little unit is.

https://www.mtx.com/rt8pt-amplified-subwoofer-enclosure

Sorry, not exactly sure what you're getting at. If you're talking about the NVX powered sub I linked, the only reason I bought that is so it can fit under the seat. I can't give up any room elsewhere in the car. I don't expect it will perform nearly as well as the MTX I have in my van which gives pretty impressive bass. It's capable of shaking the rearview mirror, but that's not my interest in the least. I just want to round out the bottom end.
ok thats all it's good for.. use the rf speakers.. there are other small 4 channel that don't cost must but idk where u have to order from because of customs and shipping.. u can get 4 chan rf or pioneer amp be better..

ok thats all it's good for.. use the rf speakers.. there are other small 4 channel that don't cost must but idk where u have to order from because of customs and shipping.. u can get 4 chan rf or pioneer amp be better..
Thanks for the link to ct sounds. They have a 4-channel (M400.4) that looks good for $149.99. That would definitely have been within my budget for that piece. I live very close to the US border and I only have to pay 15% tax to get it in to Canada. I didn't check out their shipping charges.

I will use the Rockford Fosgates.

here man look for 1 of these u can get shipped cheap..https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-REF-704A-Reference-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B01LSEQ8NY/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1520217968&sr=1-2&keywords=4+channel+amp how about a alpine https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-MRV-F300-4-Channel-Amplifier-Watts/dp/B00BLQA9BM/ref=sr_1_6?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1520218150&sr=1-6&keywords=4+channel+amp&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_six_browse-bin%3A7933267011
Dang, the links are not taking me directly to the products, but rather some "viglink" page. I'll search for each item on amazon. Thanks,

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.