Which midbass speakers to match...

Participant count
  • Participant list

JayWheezy
10+ year member

I've got big plans for my 2004 Nissan Xterra. In the future, I will be looking for some midbass to add to my front stage. As of right now, I have HAT Unity 5.25"s for the midrange, along with the Unity tweets which will be on axis along my A Pillars. I am currently having a custom tline box built for my IDMax10 V.4 by CSCSTang. I am going to be running the IDMax off of my Soundstream ref1.1000. Originally bought a PPI I350.2 to run the HAT's, however since then, I've bought a Pioneer 80PRS, and will attemp to run active for the first time. That being the case, I will eventually be looking to swap amps as well. Already have most of my wire, all skyhigh ofc. I've been following up a lot of KHA's builds, trying to learn as much as possible. I have about 20sq ft of Vibraflex(Gator Skin), and will be adding quite a bit of Raamat bxt II and Ensolite PS, budget mlv, decoupler, from Home Depot and for absorption, either some denim insulation or compressed fiberglass from ceiling tiles, if I can find it locally ; 4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX - The Home Depot ; UltraTouch 48 in. x 6 ft. Radiant Barrier-30000-11406 - The Home Depot ; UltraTouch 16 in. x 48 in. Denim Insulation Multi-Purpose Roll (6-Pack)-60306-16482 - The Home Depot

Hoping to really make this vehicle sing. Now that you all have a little background info, my question to you all, is what are some sets for midbass you recommend adding to the front stage that would blend well? I would be looking to spend around $300 on them, however I am not dead set on that. Not looking to buy right now, mainly ideas for the near future. Leaning more towards 6.5"s as I am thinking of placing the midbass in the stock speaker locations of the doors, and fabricating something for the HAT midranges either to the side of the stock locations, or preferably if I can, above. Any tips/suggestions are welcome!

Was looking at some daytons, phd's, ID, lower tier focals, or hertz if I can find any near my price range
In your budget

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-woofers-6-7/scanspeak-discovery-18w/4434g-00-7-midwoofer-4-ohm/

Above your budget but performance is phenominally top notch. vs the brands you listed, i've heard all of the listed ones and these scanspeaks take the cake.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-woofers-6-7/scanspeak-revelator-18w/4531g-7-mid-woofer-4-ohm/

You want to use the 5.25" woofers for midrange duty? On the doors that's going to require a huge pod as typically there isn't room to cut into the doors to mount another woofer of that size. Kick panels could work well, in theory, but then you have to sacrifice some foot room.

I'm thinking I could either seal off the side pockets and fabricate pods, or fab some pods possibly in the a pillar or dash... And yeah, I actually bought the 5.25's for another car, that didn't work out, and now I'd like to put them in here, or possibly try and move to the 6.5's. I have been unable to listen to them yet, so for all I know, they might be good by themselves, but a little unsure. I could do kickpanels, just not 100% trusting passengers would make the effort to be careful..

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.