Which bike?

man you guys are flaming him hard for suggesting a 750. while i understand where you all are coming from, it Really depends on the rider. some people are naturally skilled, some pick up riding very easily. also keep in mind how many kids rode dirt bikes for years or have been around motorcycles for a long time before riding themselves.
There really isn't much of a comparision between dirt bikes and sport bikes. Also, it doesn't matter how much natural ability the rider has to start off with, unless he's got a solid head on his shoulders and realizes that he's new and aptitude or not he has a lot to learn aout safely operating a motorcycle on the street. There is no point in complicating the learning process even more by throwing a high-strung, over powered, unforgiving beast into the mix.
IMO, it's the ones with a bit of natural skill that are most likely to kill themselves. They get overconfident in their abilities in a big hurry and think that they can handle the baddest thing out there and proceed o become one with the gaurdrail on the outside of a tight turn that they came into way too fast.

the main thing is i knew better than to hop on and rip it, i started slow and just rode around town...f you're mature enough to stay away from the throttle when you start out, you're fine
You seem to have that while the vast majority of the new young riders that I've seen don't.
sometimes you have to swallow you're pride
The best phrase I've heard saying about the same thing is "Put your ego in your pocket." Rossi and Mladin didn't start out on GP bikes. They took years to get to that point. Your typical indestructible hothead kid doesn't get that and sadly probably never will. If they're lucky, they'll live long enough to grow out of their blind stupidity, but a lot of them don't. To many don't realize that the rider makes the bike, not the other way around. Until a person is highly skilled I would wager that they would go faster on an older bike than on one of the newer ones. Until they could get every last bit out of the "slower" bike they would gain nothing by going up in power and would actually slow down because they would be losing time correcting the mistakes caused by the extra power and it's peaky delivery. Only the most skilled riders out there are limited by the machine that they are on. If you think you are one of those, MotoGP and Superbike teams are always hiring.

There is NO comparison to dirt and street.

I got my first dirtbike at 10 yrs old. Had one every year until i turned 19, at which point I bought a GSXR1100 (big mistake). The only thing that riding a dirtbike did for me was boost my ego to a point where I thought I was too good before I ever even rode a streetbike. I've been very lucky and I've had four wrecks (two bad ones). When I got the streetbike my skills were very good, but my ego was out of control. The transition from dirt to street cannot be compared as they are nothing alike in neither technique nor outside variables. Ive just bought acrf450r, and even transitioning back to dirt from street has been a BIG adjustment. I wont even go into body positioning, throttle control, braking........Vastly different.

My best friends little brother got out of the army, bought 636 and within three months we were at his funeral. It wouldnt have mattered what size bike he was on, as some idiot ran a red light and broadsided him, he never saw it coming.

Point being, it's risky enough riding a bike as it is, why compound the problem with a machine, that for all intents and purposes should only be on the track.

Whatever though, just be smart, dont get more bike than you can handle, dont be too embarrassed to take the MSF course,and if you must "Show off"(& I'm GUILTY) find a vacant parking lot at least.

Ive had eight bikes in all, and I've still got a lot to learn, and I know that most of the bikes I ride have way more power than I could ever use or need.

don't forget that 90% of riders in accidents are self-taught... you'll learn that in the MSF class, which you should take. and as a bonus you can take the license test with them on their bikes

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

benvaldi88

10+ year member
b-valdi
benvaldi88
Rochelle, IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date