Which amp to run with this HU?

Participant count
  • Participant list

crewd

I've got an Alpine 7854 HU. Unfortunately it has only one preamp out. I need to power four door speakers and a 10" sub with HP and LP capability.

Am I correct in assuming that because the RCA preamp out offers no fader control, I'm better off buying a 4-channel amp (as opposed to 5-ch) and running the door speakers in 2-ohm mode (front & rear connected) and the sub as a bridged 4-ohm speaker?

Thanks,

Jon

Alpine 7854 CD Receiver

(amp inserted here)

4 Polk DX7s 6x8" (4-ohm)

1 Polk GNX104 10" sw (4-ohm)

u have a CDM-7854? i have this Head Unit. And im running 2 amps. I had to use Y splitters to split my set of RCA's into 2. so i could hook up both my amps. it doesnt matter what ohm load u run ur speakers. each speaker will use a channel. I would use a 5 channel amp if u dont plan upgrading later. but if u wana upgrade itd be better to have a 4 channel amp. Then an amp right now that could power ur sub very nicely and be able to power a new sub that would get that would need more watts.

Thanks guys...

Yeah, I'm gonna buy either a Hifonics, Alpine, or MTX 4-channel amp tomorrow. Basically I need to research THD specs for running the mains 2-ohm. Nice to have some decisions made!

Cheers

most five channel amps have an internal crossover and only take one input. the JL 500/5 has one of the best internal crossovers that i have used yet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.