which amp for "FOUR" alpine type R 12" SWR-1242D 4ohm PICS INSIDE

murkr
10+ year member

fl
hello everyone, i am new here but not new to car audio but i do have afew questions, if someone here can help me i would really appreciate it.

right now i have FOUR alpine type R 12" SWR-1242D they are 4 ohms subs and i was running two cadence amps. however the amps broke and i would like to get an alpine amp next.

what amp do you guys suggest i get to get the most power out of my 4 types R without damaging them.. if i run more than 500 rms per sub wouldnt that blow them? because thats all they are capable of handling it says

i was looking at the alpine "MRP-M2000" amp, would that be my best choice?

4 ohms: 1500 watts x 1 chan

2 ohms: 2000 watts x 1 chan

here is my current setup, but the cadences are going to go

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah dude, with those subs you can do a 2 ohm load. I think you can also wire them to a .5 ohm load. You're cheapest option will to be find a .5 ohm stable amp, but thats hard on your electrical. Honestly, for 2 ohm output, the MRP-M2000 is probably one of the best bang for your buck amps. It has a relatively small footprint for it's power output too, I saw one in person, slightly bigger than the M1000.

Yeah dude, with those subs you can do a 2 ohm load. I think you can also wire them to a .5 ohm load. You're cheapest option will to be find a .5 ohm stable amp, but thats hard on your electrical. Honestly, for 2 ohm output, the MRP-M2000 is probably one of the best bang for your buck amps. It has a relatively small footprint for it's power output too, I saw one in person, slightly bigger than the M1000.
thank you for your suggestion, yeah i was looking at most alpine amps an thats what looks best, or even if i can find two 1,000 RMS amps that would work, but i think im just going to get the MRP-M2000.

so will setting it up to 2 ohms be ok? or would it shorten the length of my amps life? because i heard if you only have two alpine type R "4 Ohm" like what i got then you cant set it up 2 ohm?? but just one person said if theres 4 subs its different.

so if i get the MRP-M2000 should i set it to 4ohm or 2ohm? do you think the loudness will be much difference? and do you think SQ is much difference between 2 ohm and 4 ohm?

and doesnt 4ohm put LESS stress on the amp then on 2ohm?

Okay, ohms are electrical resistance, and you can't really just switch it on the amp. Your subs resistance (ohms) is what draws the power from the amp. Due to your subs can be wired only at 2 or .5 ohms (just go with 2), it will automatically be pulling the power from your amp that's rated at 2 ohms.

I'd also look into getting 2 Audioque 1200D amps and daisy chaining them to 2 ohms. Type Rs like more power than just 500 watts and 2 x 1200Ds will give them a little more. Also, I had the M500 and it made my headlights dim like crazy, that was just off of 500 watts. My AQ 1200D is running 1200 watts and my headlights dont even dim. Alpine amps draw some heavy current, AQ is a ton more efficient.

Edit** Don't worry about damage from what ohm load your running your amp at, if the amp says it's stable at whatever load, then it won't damage the amp. Now say you ran the M2000 at 1 ohm, the amp isn't stable that low and it would damage the amp.

Well you won't be able to run 4 ohm your only option is to run at 2ohm or .5 ohm. Just plugging a sale here but I have an amp that will run .5 all day and put out more power than the alpine 2000 for 250 shipped pm if interested. I got two of them you can take your pick.

A BXi2610d would fit the bill, and should be fairly cheap(for 2 ohm) if u have electrical and wish to run at .5, id consider a SAZ 1500d

wait i am confused, i got the type R 1242D thats 4 ohm, not the alpine type R 1222D thats 2 Ohm..

from what i read, i thought with the 1242D that i have need either have it set to 4 ohm or 1 ohm???

and the alpine thats 2ohm i think its "1222D" is.. i forgot.

am i wrong? so the 1242D subs that i have, have to be ran at 2ohms? even though i got four subs? or does it not matter how many subs i got?

also, would i be able to use that alpine "MRP-M2000" amp for all 4 subs?

that amp is rated 2 ohms: 2000 RMS watts x 1 chan

so thats perfect to what my subs can take because they are 500 RMS each, is that all good? should it hit harder then those two cadences TXA-1000D you think? i noticed those things werent giving the subs enough power it seemed

It depends how many subs you have... just trust us and don't question, its either 2 or .5 ohms for you. And the M2000 can power them all fine, except that amp is a current hog and it'll be hard on your electrical. Look into 2 Audioque 1200Ds, or the amps the guy above has mentioned for sale.

You have 4 ohm dvc subwoofers. You can wire them to 2 ohms or .5 ohms. Simple as that.

.5 ohms

vy3a69.gif

2 ohms

19axwi.gif

You could also wire them in pairs and run two monoblock amps. If you do this, the pairs can wire to 1 ohm or 4 ohms.

well i got a good kentic battery in the back, that should be enough power im hoping, i got a dodge durango and i never once had any lights dimming at all, do you think the MRP-M2000 will need more current then my two cadences? or do you think it will be around the same, because i think i want to get the MRP-M2000 i kind of want all alpine as well as a quality amp. i went through 4 of those cadence amps, the first time they were covered under warranty and i got them repaired for free but not this time and i refuse to buy another cadence i dont care what anyone says they are junk, iv even had a smaller cadence before and that broke too. and i have my stereo installed by professionals.

You need more power than 1 M2000, IMO. If you are spending all that money on the Alpine, you might as well get an Autotek mm4000.1d or a Soundstream dtr1.3500d. The mm4000.1d does about 3600rms at 2 ohm, and the dtr does max power at 0.5 ohm. That dtr model number might be wrong?

You need more power than 1 M2000, IMO. If you are spending all that money on the Alpine, you might as well get an Autotek mm4000.1d or a Soundstream dtr1.3500d. The mm4000.1d does about 3600rms at 2 ohm, and the dtr does max power at 0.5 ohm. That dtr model number might be wrong?

Autotek mm4000.1d

2 ohms: 1400 watts x 2 chan.

the amp i was looking at is 2,000 watts so its even more then that, your saying that Autotek mm4000.1d is better then the M2000 i am looking at?

and the DTR1.3400D ?? is that what your talking about because i dont see any dtr1.3500d , that rating says

True 2200 watts RMS power x 1 at 1 ohms

True 3400 watts RMS power x 1 at .5 ohms

wouldnt that blow my subs .... also thats at 1 ohm, isnt 2ohm better SQ? because for only 200 more RMS id rather have better SQ with the alpine

what amp do you guys suggest i get to get the most power out of my 4 types R without damaging them.. if i run more than 500 rms per sub wouldnt that blow them? because thats all they are capable of handling it says

You have 4 ohm dvc subwoofers. You can wire them to 2 ohms or .5 ohms. Simple as that.
.5 ohms

vy3a69.gif

2 ohms

19axwi.gif

You could also wire them in pairs and run two monoblock amps. If you do this, the pairs can wire to 1 ohm or 4 ohms.
You can also wire them to 8ohm....just sayin.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.