Which alarm, and a question about buying off ebay

bamaboy
5,000+ posts

War Eagle!!!
im looking at 2 alarms, either the Prestige APS998 or the viper 5900 SST one(or clifford one)

i dont know anything about alarms but, lets say its 600something installed for a prestige 997(didnt have 998 instock, and it will be even more), would it cost more in the end to buy a 998 or something off ebay and then get them to install it?

a different store wants 600something too to install a clifford 3.5(dont know about the SST 1 mile one) how about buying one off ebay?

now one store says that not buiying from them will not end up good, because the alarm wont work and they will have to take it back out again and charge me to take it out, but if i buy from them they guarantee it

i know they want to sell things but i dont know about the failure rate of alarms

so anyhting to help me out throw in or what ever:crap: im lost

Get the viper 791xv.... ive put 3 of them on 3 of my vehicles and never had a problem.... lcd screen trunk popper, windows/ many upgrades available

this is just my .02 but i suggest buying it from a big name store, such as BB or CC...why, u ask? well becasue although u will pay much more than u would ever want to pay for it, they will do the install for free, and, heres the fun part...IF ANYTHING EVER GOES WRONG WITH IT...(which is bound to happen) THEY WILL REPLACE/FIX IT FOR FREE!...yes yes, i still no that u have you doubts, but here is a personal story, i bought the viper 791xv from BB like 2 years ago, payed 700 installed for it, but since then, it has gone haywire approxamitly SIX times...which means i ahve gotten SIX $700 alarm systems for free...along with the install...definatly ends up paying for itself in the end, gl with you choices...

First off, the 998 is no better than the 997 except the different remotes. The major difference between the 5900 and Audiovox is the range. If you need a 1 mile range then the 5900 fits you, if not I suggest the 997 based simply on price diff. What I suggest, go around to the local shops and talk to the installers themselves, not the sales person. 95% of the time, they'll be able to buy the alarm for cost price or a little more and they'll be willing to install it as a side job. If you go this route, it should cost approx half of what it usually would. Just an idea, if you need a deal on 997's PM me.

YOu must be beating the **** out of the system or something,,, replacing 6 791 systems is a user error,, such as electrical surges with a loud system or something.. dont hate the product if it goes bad 6 times...

best buys installed price is no different then many small shops around...the install isnt free the price they quote you is installed the alarm itself doesnt cost that much

go with a dei product. i would say go with the 791xv because it is all and more than u need, the 5900 is the same alarm as teh 791 only it has a 1 mile range. i would say call around to the shops and see how much it will cost for them to install an alarm u bring into them vs how much if u buy from them and they install it. and remember ur gonna need to get a bypass module for ur truck to start. so price out the viper the 791 will be like 6-700 installed and the 5900 will be 650-800 installed.

i bought the viper 791xv from BB like 2 years ago, payed 700 installed for it, but since then, it has gone haywire approxamitly SIX times...which means i ahve gotten SIX $700 alarm systems for free...along with the install...definatly ends up paying for itself in the end, gl with you choices...

How are you better off than if you just had one alarm system in those two years, and it worked perfectly the entire time?

Do you really think you've had five defective alarms installed?

i bought a viper 791xv off hccafan( didnt have a problem) and i paid 150 or 175 cant remember. but then i had best buy install it bc local audio shop wouldnt install due to not purchasing from them. after the price of the alarm and the installation i still eneded up with a lil over $600 in it. i did add 2 mini piezos a proxy sensor and a bypass module.but my only warranty is on the wiring. hccafan said i have a 1 yr warranty on the alarm ( but prolly have a hard time with that one theses days from what i've heard. so if u wanna save a couple bucks u can buy off ebay. if i had it all to do over againid prolly buy it from my local stereo shop or best buy. gl on your choice:)

For the price diff between the Audiovox and the 791xv, its just not worth it. I have both, the 791 on my car and the 997 on my fathers and g/f car. The Audiovox has a better remote and range. The DEI hasn't given me any problems but its not better than the 997. You can get the 997 installed at most GOOD shops for $500 out the door with some extras. If you need the 1 mile range, then I say the 5900, otherwise theres not much difference. Also, you get an extra remote with the 997.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.