Where to Dampen... and why

I did some reading up on deadening this past weekend looking for cheap alternatives for the "hobbiest" car audio guy.

Seeing your posts it sounds like money is a big issue for you. Otherwise you'd just do every bit of metal. You should look into the cheap alternatives like a 100 sq. ft roll of FatMat for $130 shipped. You can do your car a couple times over with this.

If you want to be cheaper than that then you can goto a roof supply company and buy some of the stuff they put between the wood and shingles on houses. According to the guy in the below link it's the same thing as most of the asphault based deadeners out there. Note this isn't the same as the butyl based stuff, but according to this guy you can get butyl based roof products as well. This covers vibration, not deadening according to this guy. For deadening you need dense material like carpet padding.

Sound Deadening DIY - Honda Civic Forum

These are not my opinions but the opinions of the guy in the link. Again I was just researching this topic over the weekend.

Personally for me I'm leaning towards the $130/Shipped FatMat roll and do my whole car a couple times over. Looks like you're driving a nice 350Z. Is a couple hundy really that much to you?

the best answer is find out whats rattling once the system is in and go from there?
very good suggestion. my escape was only a year old when i got it and i pretty much had no rattles, but over the last year or so ive had it things have started to loosen up and plus ive gotten louder...but obviously the biggest place you need to do is the rear door or hatch door whatever you want to call it. you need to remove the plastic panel and apply mat to the inner and outer door skin and i would also suggest doing the door panel itself. that is what i am doing with my rear door and my other 4 doors and panels. i am also using second skin damplifier pro and i'm also planning on spraying them all with spectrum. i'm pretty much just matting the larger more open and flat areas with mat and then planning to tape off certain areas and then spray the spectrum over the rest of the area.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.