Where to Dampen... and why

jgruberman
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I know the easy answer to this question is "EVERYWHERE!"... but I'm looking for directions on where to start. If/when I do dampening, I was trying to figure out what the most important parts were to dampen first.

The reason I'm addressing this, is because I'm soon going to be installing 10's in my spare tire enclosure, and figure that if I need to dampen under the subs, then do it while the car is apart.

I will have 2 10's, and speakers in the rear deck and in the door. What is the most important part to dampen and what is the real benefit going to be other than preventing rattling?

hands down trunk lid and back wall of trunk near license plate.. but yeah do everywhere you can while you have it taken apart... do the entire trunk then move throughout the vehicles..

1.Trunk

2. Roof

3.Floor

4.Doors imo

When you do buy the dampener go with Sound Deader Showdown as pieper88 suggested. Awesome guy and will help you through the whole process to make sure you do it right.

But yes start with the trunk/trunk lid as thats where your subs will rattle your car the most. Consider using CLD tiles and/or CCF on the rear deck also since thats right next to your trunk. A big part of dampening is reducing rattling because it can overpower the sound of your speakers. Trust me I have a civic and my 18" sub rattles EVERYTHING. Another benefit to dampening is it helps keep your music more inside your car, and also keeps the outside noise out. This can make it seem louder in your car at lower volume levels than before. And also speaking of loudness, using dampener can increase you db's.

So it really is an important part of your system if your car didnt come with GOOD stock deadener in it. Usually it doesnt unless its a luxury brand, but even then, fixing and adding in some more where its needed can help a ton. Hope this helps

SO when everyone says trunk...
My trunk is more of a glass window: http://www.350z-accessories.com/100_1514.JPG

Should I pull any plastics off the inside that I can get to and dampen under those, or is it not applicable to my "trunk"?

Also, is it of any importance to deaden the area UNDER the enclosure in the spare tire well?
Yep. Any surrounding metal in the trunk or under the plastic of the trunk should be deadened. Also yes you need to deaden the area of the spare tire well as its still part of the trunk. An inside look of the trunk would help a little more. I do love 350z's

So what's really the question here?

Are you wanting to know how much you need to buy, or do you actually not know what to do with a CLD product?

Forgive the crappy flash. Best I can do at night //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

DSCN1844.jpg

DSCN1842.jpg

DSCN1841.jpg

DSCN1840.jpg

So what's really the question here?
Are you wanting to know how much you need to buy, or do you actually not know what to do with a CLD product?
The question is what area first(assuming I only end up doing one at a time instead of a shotgun of the entire thing).

I know what to do with the product, just trying to get an idea of the most crucial area to cover before all others.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.