Where to buy High-End 6.5" Components?

chibahawk
10+ year member

oe squeezer
NYC
Alright I dealt with CL-61As for a long time and I think it might be time to upgrade.

I listen to hip hop and reggae so I want crispiness.

I'm thinking RE Comps? Maybe Rainbows?

Can someone point me in a good direction?

idk, but id recommend rainbows over re's any day of the week. pm 6spdcoupe on here, and ask about rainbow germs - 420 - 460 shipped i believe. or rainbow cmx's - 300ish shipped. depending on ur budget id go with one of those.

Mike

hah im thinkin high-end but with a cap at like anything over $170. that stuff looks crazy.

Do you want "High End", or "Less than $170" ?

Because the two........aren't really related.

That's not to say sub-$200 comps can't sound respectable.

But not really considered "High End". At least on the pre-built comp set side of things.

where can i get RE?
At your local dealer;

http://www.reaudio.com

Hey, when they were released they were all the rage on here.........
You mean another comp boner besides rainbow?? Tell me it isn't true...

I run rainbow, but on my next setup I may look into something different. I want something with a smaller midrange (2-2.5") that I can mount in the door. DLS maybe.

As for OP, I don't think any are in the $170 range unless used or something. I think maybe you can get into the Pioneer set though and I haven't heard much bad about them.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13688

exactly in your price range

yea basically im not talking high-end. i just want good quality meets value. I'd go under $200 or around that. Probably buy them used off the classifieds, so mainly I'm just looking to get suggestions.

Should I bother checking out brands like Alpine, Pioneer, JBL, or should I buy components from the Rainbows/CDTs/REs? Im under the impression that big companies dont make good door speakers.

Should I bother checking out brands like Alpine, Pioneer, JBL, or should I buy components from the Rainbows/CDTs/REs? Im under the impression that big companies dont make good door speakers.
You're impression would be wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Many companies outsource the majority of their speaker lineups to outside OEM companies. CDT and Alpine, for example, use Tymphany to design/build most of their speakers (Alpine has driver are based on Vifa and Scanspeak models, CDT are based on Vifa's models). Tymphany being one of the leaders in OEM/DIY services to the home audio market; they make some good sounding speakers. depending on which models you are looking at.

The Pioneer's new PRS component set seems to be getting great reviews from both magazines and consumers. I would consider them a solid choice to look into. Unauthorized they can be found for close to your price range I believe.

Memphis Msync speakers can be found at woofersetc.com, and are great speakers aswell for your price range. That's what I personally run at the moment.

JBL I've heard some good things about the Gto series speakers; but not a whole lot about them in general...so it's hard to say. JBL/Harmon Kardon as a whole definitely have the talent and knowledge to build great sounding speakers....JBL's Pro Audio lines are renouned for their sound quality. Whether or not that carries over into their car lines I can't say for sure as I've not heard them personally. I know some of their older Gti lines were great speakers....but those specific speakers have been discontinued.

TS-C720PRS

Weird tho, these Pioneer speakers only take 50W rms? I would think that newer Components would take a lot? Currently I have like CDTs CL-61As that take around 80-90RMS.

That spec is meaningless, I'd run the PRS set over what you currently have. The power handling is reduced the lower in frequency you run them but I am sure they won't have a problem with the same power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

chibahawk

10+ year member
oe squeezer
chibahawk
NYC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date