what is better than dayton rs 3-way set? for same $

expo5.0
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
What would sound better than the dayton rs 7", 2", and 1 1/8" drivers installed properly imaged, properly crossed over, with plenty of power running to them?

Not looking to spend a ton more $$$, but want something that matches itself decently and sounds great.

-drew

oh, and i can't build any sort of enclosure for the 7"- it's barely going to fit where ir's going anyways and this car basically can't be modified.

i would do the 5in instead of a 2in just to have them play a better overall sound. 7in plays up to 250hz, 5in plays up to 3.5khz and the tweets play up everything else.

I can spend more than that-

got to be able to come up with something better 3-way right?

i guess partly i was thinking 3-way because the door location isn't my favorite for imaging in this car (like right below my knee while driving)

I can spend more than that-
got to be able to come up with something better 3-way right?

i guess partly i was thinking 3-way because the door location isn't my favorite for imaging in this car (like right below my knee while driving)
Typically, your mid-bass goes in the door in the stock location, mid-range in the kick panel and then your tweet...wherever it sounds best. For my acura, it was in the stock location firing upwards at the windsheild. In my miata right now, its on axis in the a-pillar...

Passive or active 3-way...I'm assuming active?

yeah, by running a 3-way set i'd be able to get a little mid-bass (the 6.5 or 7) in the poorly imaged stock door location, and get away with a much smaller kickpanel (don't want to lose too much room) with the more imaging crucial mid-range.

At least that was my thinking. I am not going to have time alignment or really any processing other than crossover and eq. with this system.

I plan on running the mid/tweet with a passive crossover powered by an art series ppi and the mids powered by an audiocontrol model 20 (actively crossed over relative to the mid/tweet)

-drew

-drew

Well, IIRC, the dayton 2" Midrange is a dome mid-range in its own enclosure so all you need to do is aim and mount it...

You could also look into the ID mid-bass speakers...

yeah, it seemed to me that by running that 2" i'd be able to really save foot room in the car and get very good imaging. Sadly, i wn't be able to play around iwth the imaging very much though- no other location in this car will be available to me.

is there a much better 2" dome midrange that can be had for reasonable money?

is there a much better 6.5/7" midbass that can be had for reasonable money? (to use in a car door with no modifications)

i did look at that usher mid range as well-

is it a significant upgrade sound wise in your opinion?

what about the usher mid bass? I like stuff that matches brand wise when possible

I've never heard a thing about the usher mid-range...I simply went on PE and looked at what they offered. I'd look at madi-sound and around the DIY forums for the best options...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.