Where do you guys mount your GPS antenna in your vehicle? Need feedback!

JarvisB
10+ year member

JarvisB
MI/DC
I got a Pioneer Avic F900BT.. I am going to install it tomorrow and I have no idea where is the best place to mount my antenna?

I dont want any wire showing or whatever, I want it to be as sealth as possible...

The manual suggested mounting it outside, run a wire thru the door.. WTF I dont want to do that..

I am thinking maybe I can find a way to run a wire thru windshield vent and mount it in the middle of the dash below the windshield?

Where do you mount yours? I would love any kind of feedback, thanks!

umm negative..you wont receive a **** worth a signal.

rather, run it thru your front windshield along the weather stripping, mounting directly in the middle to the metal on the roof, ensures great signal and location.

like so..

see right in the middle

100_0453.jpg

dont mind the headlights. im gettin some.♦

I'm sorry but that looks tacky as hell IMO..

I want to keep it inside if possible?

I had an Avic D3 before and I mounted the GPS on the dash under the windshield temporarily and it worked with no problem?

I'm sorry but that looks tacky as hell IMO..
I want to keep it inside if possible?

I had an Avic D3 before and I mounted the GPS on the dash under the windshield temporarily and it worked with no problem?
have fun with **** ass reception.

why do you think stock locations for gps, xm satellite radio, sirius, is outside the car, above the windshield, or on trunk cars, on the trunk?

this ensure top quality reception due to the fact the gps is unblocked, and connected to metal on the car that also improves reception....

mr fashion designer

did it come wiht a little metal plate? i know one of my indashes did and i just put it on the rear deck under the fabric and ran the wire under the fabric aswell

did it come wiht a little metal plate? i know one of my indashes did and i just put it on the rear deck under the fabric and ran the wire under the fabric aswell
Yeah it does come with little metal plate and I am required to put the antenna on the metal plate to get better reception..

how do I find out if I got good reception or not?
with my pioneer i went to hardware options in the gps menu and it shows how many bars you have..on mine in hardware section it says gps mounted correctly, and i have like 7 green satellites and reception says excellent or something like that..

oh that is cool,
many thanks for your advice, I appreciate it..

Any other suggestions, guys?
the only other thing i could tell ya is you could mount it in the car but your reception will be a little off. best thing to do is mount it like its supposed to be..and make sure it is flat on the surface. the gps picks up movement based on the position of the reciever. if its turned a certain way while mounting or whatever, then your tracking will be off as well..you may be going forward but the gps will think your turning left all the time..lol

It willbe fine on the dash. That is what the plate is for. It has an adhesive on one side to stick to the dash and then the antennas magnet will hold to the plate.

I bought an external antenna for my portable GPS but I've never used it. With the GPS mounted to the windshield it's never lost reception even here in the mountains. I too would think the dash would be fine.

umm negative..you wont receive a **** worth a signal.
Ive owned a Pioneer Avic N1 and now Eclipse AVN5435 with both antenna's located where the OP mentioned with PERFECT signal at all times.

OP, my antenna is mounted on my dash in the passenger side corner and have perfect connection.

Lately Ive been reading some install threads on the Kenwood units where people have actually attached the antenna to the metal of the unit itself . they said even though it was under the dash covered by the dash, as long as metal wasnt above it, it worked. take that for what its worth.

but like i said ive done exactly what youve suggested with no issues ever.

the dash will be fine if you mount as far forward as you can so the roof doesn't block any reception to it.. I put mine on my roof it looks fine.. but my car is a black/silver theme and the antenna being black goes with it...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.