Where do you guys buy your wire?

Anyone have advice on this subject?

Does the diameter or number of the inner strands matter? Like I said my current wire has very very small strands (not any thicker then your hair) and they are so tiny they flake off and brake when I strip the wire and such...makes a mess. I see the welding wire has much thicker strands (almost like twizzlers), and it looks like it would hold up better and be easier to work with?

ive personally dealt with knu and AT (and also the flaky stuff) knu and AT are very flexible AT maybe a little more, knu does have more strands, i tried explaining this to someone earlier i ending up going with knu bc its more strands AND if you need to be wire more than the KNU will bend it shouldnt be in a car lol,

IMAG0219_zps24dc2ecd.jpg

thats KNU kolossus fleks 0 gauge..

** seems i may have to buy some of the tops brands wire and do a write up on this stuff

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

**************** ANY REPUTABLE BRAND IS BETTER THAN THE FLAKY STUFF I ASSURE YOU!!!

i think we can all agree on that..

also if you havent looked into it, knu (and other brands im sure) have their CCA wire KNU's is oversized to compensate for less current capabilities, but i purchased some 4 gauge for a recent friends install and i still got a ft laying around if your interested in seeing it?

also its usually half the price of OFC

didnt see what you asked advice on.. like i said i used the flaky stuff... the strands can be small even in high end wire they use like 36ga strands, but the quality you get with high end wire wont "flake". the flaking is very bad for amps. in my experience you can never get quality connections, because you try to crimp on to the wire and it will break probably 1/4 of the strands. even with dual inputs on decent amps i managed to fry two amps due to badd grounds, learned my lesson real quick not to buy cheap product. i would check the ground and power connections about every other day to make sure they were still tight.. ive never soldered on to the flaky stuff so you could give that a try.

So what I am getting from this is that the inner diameter of the strands does not matter...in which case I shouldn't buy new higher end wire.

Welding wire is good... I have 1awg ran atm... Flexaprene - one of the best welding wires on the market atm.. But I will be changing it out and going with either AT or KNU 1/0 wire soon... You want THIN strand wire, with A HIGH STRAND COUNT... If you can't afford the KNU or AT and want to just get some Welding wire do it but make sure its the THIN strand wire.. most is but there is a few companies that has thick strands.. Welding wire per gauge to gauge will be about 10-15 amps lower than Car Audio Wire rating, but higher voltage rating..

So there is no performance benefit from having thin stranded power wire?

In that case I'll just walk down to my welding supply store and get some for half the cost of ordering knu or some other fancy pants name brand.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.