When using a roundover router bit on a slot ported 3/4 inch birch......

germanyt

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Nov 15, 2005
I plan on using a 3/4 inch roundover on all the edges but I run into a problem when I get to the port. The port is left of the driver and if I use a 3/4 on the inside and outside it's going to rout more of a point on the edge than a roundover.

On this pic it would be the right side wall. I suppose I could just roundover the outside edge and leave the port opening alone. Anyone have any suggestions for this. It'll be the first time I've ever used a router on a build.

CSCStang

Enclosurist
Mar 24, 2014
I'd route the port opening 3/4 and the outside perimeter 1/2"

germanyt

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Nov 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd route the port opening 3/4 and the outside perimeter 1/2"
I was hoping you were online. Thanks for the quick reply. Does that leave the right side edge (in above pic) fairly rounded or does the roundover on the inside and outside cause it to come to a point? More like a V instead of a U.

CSCStang

Enclosurist
Mar 24, 2014
I was hoping you were online. Thanks for the quick reply. Does that leave the right side edge (in above pic) fairly rounded or does the roundover on the inside and outside cause it to come to a point? More like a V instead of a U.
Actually if you do both 1/2" you'll get that U roundover you're talking about. Scratch my first reply. When I do 3/4 port roundover I only do 1/4 perimeter to avoid the V shape.

germanyt

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Nov 15, 2005
LOL I ordered 16 router bits and not a one of them is a 1/2 inch roundover. Just my luck. I have a 3/4 and 3/8 coming.

Just saw you replied. Maybe I'll start with the 3/8 all over and see how I like it. I can always remove more material if need be.

germanyt

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Nov 15, 2005
Thanks a lot for the pic. Now that I'm looking at it I might pick up a 1/2 inch. I really wanted to round over the entire edge of the plywood with a 3/4 though for the aesthetics of all the layers rounded over. Maybe I'll 3/4 the outside and not mess with the port.

CSCStang

Enclosurist
Mar 24, 2014
Thanks a lot for the pic. Now that I'm looking at it I might pick up a 1/2 inch. I really wanted to round over the entire edge of the plywood with a 3/4 though for the aesthetics of all the layers rounded over. Maybe I'll 3/4 the outside and not mess with the port.
It's better to minimize the outer edge round over to keep the integrity of the enclosure imo. Rounding the port walls will ensure better airflow always.

germanyt

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Nov 15, 2005
It's better to minimize the outer edge round over to keep the integrity of the enclosure imo. Rounding the port walls will ensure better airflow always.
I am using 45s and rounding the inside of the port walls. Just trying to maintain outside aesthetics. I'll start small and see how it looks. Saw comes Monday.

The_Dealer

Senior VIP Member
May 15, 2014
I am using 45s and rounding the inside of the port walls. Just trying to maintain outside aesthetics. I'll start small and see how it looks. Saw comes Monday.
I used to do 3/8 on the port walls and 3/4" on the opening, but started just using the 3/8 all over. A larger radius will end up lopsided when doing the half moon at the end of the port. If you use screws, you'll get too close to them with a larger radius bit. I remove them to keep my bits safe, but sometimes the screw head will protrude due to the contour. Just doesn't look right.

Here's a 1/2" radius

3/8

Sent from my Motorola 2950 Special Edition 3w.

germanyt

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Nov 15, 2005
Loving the pics. Couldn't find any good ones on google. 1/2 inch looks pretty good. I am debating using screws and just pulling them or setting up my square and clamps and just using glue to eliminate the need to fill screw holes. I better jump on amazon and snag a 1/2 inch bit.

mrpep

CarAudio.com Elite
Apr 27, 2014
Now I feel I need radiuses on my port and edges , lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
really.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Clifff150

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest classifieds