When my trunk is open you can really feel the bass compared when it’sclosed

Tiltz

CarAudio.com Newbie
When I open my trunk in my car the bass in the front gets really good abs how I want it but when it’s closed it’s like I can barley feel it but when you put your head in the back above the box it’s good just from the back seat forward it does it. Could it be the box design or placement?

Attachments

• 64A7AC1A-DB3C-4B65-A69D-6A32A56FB4E7.jpeg
    64A7AC1A-DB3C-4B65-A69D-6A32A56FB4E7.jpeg
    920.6 KB · Views: 154
The subs firing toward each other is a no no with what I am assuming is sealed boxes. Looks good but I'm certain you're having major cancelation. The reason why it sounds better with your hatch open (not sure why you called it a trunk looks like a suv to me) the air that's being trapped in between the subs firing at one another has room to escape

When I open my trunk in my car the bass in the front gets really good abs how I want it but when it’s closed it’s like I can barley feel it but when you put your head in the back above the box it’s good just from the back seat forward it does it. Could it be the box design or placement?

When I installed my first 150db (1995) personal system I had a box that looked somewhat similar.
It was 2 banks of 2 12s firing towards each other.
Different in that the top/bottom center panels extended just past the subs.

Try to extend the top/bottom center panels past the subs to a point within a foot from the gate (at least temporarily) to see if it changes anything.

Hopefully this may fix your issue

Space may have been an issue for those large subs, but I would personally have had them firing upward. Like others have said, it looks like they are competing with each other. Just one opinion. Good luck with your solution.

I'll illustrate what I said above. The 1st pic is basically what you have now without the hard floor as drawn.
R0qt23.jpg

I bet as long as the subs are in phase changing it to this will make a marked improvement as long as there's some space to the tailgate.
uH6VcC.jpg

I'd make sure it has a solid floor and back wall along with changing it to what's shown (or close) if it was me.

Give it a try... its only wood.

I'm not sure why your amp and other equipment is mounted there right next to the woofers. I'd mount it on something other than the box itself. Is that originally a box built for a trunk?

I'll illustrate what I said above. The 1st pic is basically what you have now without the hard floor as drawn.
R0qt23.jpg

I bet as long as the subs are in phase changing it to this will make a marked improvement as long as there's some space to the tailgate.
uH6VcC.jpg

I'd make sure it has a solid floor and back wall along with changing it to what's shown (or close) if it was me.

Give it a try... its only wood.
This was my thought as well, though this will perform like a 4th order so results will be unpredictable. The issue I see is how far forward from the rear hatch the subs are. That's usually a recipe for cancellation and some nulls.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.