Whats your opinion of the Kenwood Excelon XR-W12F?

Ive done some research on sundowns sa6.5 sw, looks to be promising @$50 each in the yardsale. I could fit 2 of these side by side behind my front passenger seat each has 200wrms optimized in a 0.3ft3 ported box, but it says 0.25-0.33. I would be close to the 0.3ft3 if I make one box with a dividerand put the ports on the outside running under the passenger seat. Sundown recommends port size of 4in2, around 2.25” diameter pipe tuned at 32Hz. I used a port length calculator and got a length of 33.23”, which would stick out the front of the seat. If I tuck them in the box I lose enclosure volume. I checked out the 8” and 10”, and the ported volume fits, the top mount depths are too deep. I have 7” to work with and I need space for it to bump so the ~4” mounting depth of the 6.5s work out pretty good. Id rather have 2 x6.5s, but those arent in the yardsale.

Ive done some research on sundowns sa6.5 sw, looks to be promising @$50 each in the yardsale. I could fit 2 of these side by side behind my front passenger seat each has 200wrms optimized in a 0.3ft3 ported box, but it says 0.25-0.33. I would be close to the 0.3ft3 if I make one box with a dividerand put the ports on the outside running under the passenger seat. Sundown recommends port size of 4in2, around 2.25” diameter pipe tuned at 32Hz. I used a port length calculator and got a length of 33.23”, which would stick out the front of the seat. If I tuck them in the box I lose enclosure volume. I checked out the 8” and 10”, and the ported volume fits, the top mount depths are too deep. I have 7” to work with and I need space for it to bump so the ~4” mounting depth of the 6.5s work out pretty good. Id rather have 2 x6.5s, but those arent in the yardsale.
Based on your space requirements, you probably don’t have near enough space to run an 8 ported. Possibly a 6.5... That is the thing about “small, ported boxes”, they really aren’t that small, because in order to get your tuning in the low or mid 30’s you have to have a **** ton of port. Honestly, going with the sd3-10 sealed is most likely your best option.

Like I said, a small enclosure requires A LOT of port volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2 of the blue cone kenwoods in a ported box with a d class mtx amp in my mustang back in the 90s. Thats why I have a soft spot for kenwood now. My useable space is behind the front passenger seat of my escape I need to keep the cargo area clear for hauling things and the seats need to be able to fold down on top of the box. I have 7” of height, 16” of width, and 11” between the front seat and rear seat with the front seat all the way back. If I do something with fiberglass I can get a little more room under the front seat, but Ill probably just do something with mdf and sort of match the curves that way.
Based on those measurements that is like .45 cubic feet before subwoofer displacement....

Your best bet may be to do a custom enclosure in the passenger footwell. Have you thought about that?

Based on those measurements that is like .45 cubic feet before subwoofer displacement....
Your best bet may be to do a custom enclosure in the passenger footwell. Have you thought about that?
I considered the front passenger footwell first, but theres a lot of ductwork to be blocked and its not very deep to begin with. Ive remeasured my area behind the passenger and it looks like I can get 7”x21”x11”, im not sure where I got that 16” figure. It seems I can fit 2 SA6.5SW in there so I went ahead and rolled the dice on the yardsale and bought 2 for my $100 thats burning a hole in my pocket. Im leaning more towards a downfiring position because my boys sit in the back and whoever sits on that side will be climbing all over it. As for the ports I could probably snake them around a little under the seat to get the most length.

I considered the front passenger footwell first, but theres a lot of ductwork to be blocked and its not very deep to begin with. Ive remeasured my area behind the passenger and it looks like I can get 7”x21”x11”, im not sure where I got that 16” figure. It seems I can fit 2 SA6.5SW in there so I went ahead and rolled the dice on the yardsale and bought 2 for my $100 thats burning a hole in my pocket. Im leaning more towards a downfiring position because my boys sit in the back and whoever sits on that side will be climbing all over it. As for the ports I could probably snake them around a little under the seat to get the most length.
i see in your sig that youve grounded to chasis and body, isnt the escape a unibody?

I just looked at your build log you took the entire interior apart and dynomatted the **** out of that thing! You should definitely get something better then a shallow mount if you need cargo space just save up for a pos truck off Craigslist or something!

Why can't you put a box in the rear cargo area, stealth mount the amp and allow for an easy disconnect between the sub and amp so all you have to do is take the box out if you want to haul something?
Exactly. I was gonna use this in the wife’s car

This 10” Dayton only requires .45 cubes sealed, but you should let someone model it for you. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ls10-44-10-low-profile-subwoofer-dual-4-ohm--295-251

It’s not likely going to blow your socks off if that’s what you’re looking for. One thing is for sure is the correct box design makes or breaks the bass. Like others said above, that subwoofer might sound much better in a larger box, especially a well design ported box but I know that doesn’t help with your size constraints.

Escape is a unibody, but I had the cable and the lugs, so I did it.

I just looked at your build log you took the entire interior apart and dynomatted the **** out of that thing! You should definitely get something better then a shallow mount if you need cargo space just save up for a pos truck off Craigslist or something!
I know I could fit a giant box in the back and take it out when needed, but sometimes I dont know when Im going to load up the back, and I like being a little on the stealth side. Ive started measuring for the box with the twin SA6.5 SW, I got the cardboard templates cut for the ends at the door and center console. I was able to add a few inches of height to level the box out with the seat as its folded down. I dont really have a way to calculate the volume, but my guesstimate says its more than 0.7ft3. Ill build 5 sides to the blox and then fill up with sand or packing peanuts or whatever to get it exact. Im going to try and avoid fiberglass, but some of the cuts are going to be hard so Ill probably end up doing some fiberglass filler and a layer to stiffen it up. Subs will be down firing, just have to figure out how much room Im going to need for the down fire. I decided against running ports under the front seat and will do a slotted port on the top of the box. My calculator says I need it 28” long, area 8in2 for the manufacturers recommended frequency of 32Hz. Ill start a new thread and add some pictures so everyone can tell me Im doing it wrong.

I was thinking of doing 1/2” birch to gain some extra volume and then fiberglassing the inside to get it stiffer. Im not sure 3/4” or 5/8” is necessary for 400-450w of 6.5s, what do you think?

3/4 thickness will likely sound better as the less the box walls move, the more efficient and better sounding the output will be. If you add fiberglass or multiple bracing though, than you could get away with 1/2’. At a minimum, I would use 3/4” for the panel that the woofer mounts to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.