Whats your opinion of the Kenwood Excelon XR-W12F?

no one said they disliked dayton audio.but for a .6 cubic foot box, which is less than half the recommended size for the dayton, the kenwood may actually perform better, thats all i said. i'm sure the dayton is a better driver, but you can take a great driver and put it in the wrong enclosure...
Well you did dislike Boomingrandpa's reply so....However, your last statement in post #11 is correct.

Just curious have you heard the Kenwood shallow mount sub in person? You seem to have they way you talk on here.

Well you did dislike Boomingrandpa's reply so....However, your last statement in post #11 is correct.
Just curious have you heard the Kenwood shallow mount sub in person? You seem to have they way you talk on here.
no but over the last few years i've seen some guys over on diyma use them with good results so they said. the other guy stated that "all kenwood subs are garbage", and i guarantee he has probably never heard one. all i was trying to say was that i don't think that subwoofer is garbage from things i have seen on them over the last few years. and if you look on the partsexpress website they recommend 1.3 cubic feet for the dayton ls12 and per space requirements the kenwood may actually work better.

why don't you ask mr purple kush if he has experience with either sub as well?...

seems to me those of you that live on here 24/7 love to take each other's side whether someone is wrong or right...

but to each his own...

i don't know about this driver the specs are less than ideal. low fs but its rated freq response starts almost a whole octave higher, low xmax(like 60% lower than other similarly priced subs), qts is just above using it for a ported enclosure which i would want to be higher since its a low profile small box selling point.

i would expect it to have very little low end extension especially since you will be using a box 25% smaller than recommended size.

no but over the last few years i've seen some guys over on diyma use them with good results so they said. the other guy stated that "all kenwood subs are garbage", and i guarantee he has probably never heard one. all i was trying to say was that i don't think that subwoofer is garbage from things i have seen on them over the last few years. and if you look on the partsexpress website they recommend 1.3 cubic feet for the dayton ls12 and per space requirements the kenwood may actually work better.
why don't you ask mr purple kush if he has experience with either sub as well?...

seems to me those of you that live on here 24/7 love to take each other's side whether someone is wrong or right...

but to each his own...
so y didn't u dislike his post instead of mine?

lol I'm not on here 24/7 bud...I do actually have a life outside of this forum.

I'd have to agree with @THATpurpleKUSH Kenwood subs are prob not all that great anymore as they once were years ago. Circuit City always had their buy one sub get the other free....guess what subs I bought?! That's right Kenwood, blue cone drivers. How many people do you know/see running Kenwood subs?

I think OP needs to provide a lil more info for his useable space avail rather than talking about a sub that I knew wouldn't sound right/good from the beginning. This way, we can recommend him a better sub that Kenwood.

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']lol I'm not on here 24/7 bud...I do actually have a life outside of this forum.

I'd have to agree with @THATpurpleKUSH Kenwood subs are prob not all that great anymore as they once were years ago. Circuit City always had their buy one sub get the other free....guess what subs I bought?! That's right Kenwood, blue cone drivers. How many people do you know/see running Kenwood subs?

I think OP needs to provide a lil more info for his useable space avail rather than talking about a sub that I knew wouldn't sound right/good from the beginning. This way, we can recommend him a better sub that Kenwood.[/QUOTE]

well he had posted another thread where he discusses that and then started this new thread for some reason.

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']lol I'm not on here 24/7 bud...I do actually have a life outside of this forum.

I think OP needs to provide a lil more info for his useable space avail rather than talking about a sub that I knew wouldn't sound right/good from the beginning. This way, we can recommend him a better sub that Kenwood.[/QUOTE]

I had 2 of the blue cone kenwoods in a ported box with a d class mtx amp in my mustang back in the 90s. Thats why I have a soft spot for kenwood now. My useable space is behind the front passenger seat of my escape I need to keep the cargo area clear for hauling things and the seats need to be able to fold down on top of the box. I have 7” of height, 16” of width, and 11” between the front seat and rear seat with the front seat all the way back. If I do something with fiberglass I can get a little more room under the front seat, but Ill probably just do something with mdf and sort of match the curves that way.

Lol, yeah. I wasnt that impressed with the sub, it didnt fit right, and I wasnt budging off $100. I was going to have to build a custom box and save up for the sub and box I really wanted in the end anyway. I was recently reading an older article comparing the mkiii to the sundown sd2, so Ive been reading up on the new sd3 10s and theyre looking pretty good to me. Best part is theyre on amazon and Ive got some rewards points burning a hole in my pocket. I need to get started on the custom box, the sd3 10 is optimized at 0.5ft3 and will take 500wrms and its only $209 on amazon right meow. I could probably spend under $50 for all materials on my custom box build so maybe budgeting $300 and I get what I want, where I want it (thats what she said).
stop being cheap and save up to do things right. Dont even bother fking with shallow mounts. Do a proper ported 8 or 6.5 and it'll sh*t all over all your expectations.

All you guys recommending shallow mounts.... LOL. Shallow mounts in sealed boxes are a waste of time most of the times.

stop being cheap and save up to do things right. Dont even bother fking with shallow mounts. Do a proper ported 8 or 6.5 and it'll sh*t all over all your expectations.
All you guys recommending shallow mounts.... LOL. Shallow mounts in sealed boxes are a waste of time most of the times.
Could I fit a ported 6.5” or 8” in my tiny space 0.5-0.7ft3? I figured my best option to save space would be a sealed box, Ive looked at ported volume for a lot of subs Ive looked at and they require too big of space.

I had 2 of the blue cone kenwoodws in a ported box with a d class mtx amp in my mustang back in the 90s. Thats why I have a soft spot for kenwood no. My useable space is behind the front passenger seat of my escape I need to keep the cargo area clear for hauling things and the seats need to be able to fold down on top of the box. I have 7” of height, 16” of width, and 11” between the front seat and rear seat with the front seat all the way back. If I do something with fiberglass I can get a little more room under the front seat, but Ill probably just do something with mdf and sort of match the curves that way.
Surprised Jeff hasn't said anything about this statement. Your still stuck in the 90's bud....so much has changed in between that and now. What was once great companies have now focused on cheaper parts/quality and more towards $$ on their part.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.