What's wrong with kicker subs/brand?

LongThrow

My Kickers be swaggin'
All my friends have talked about their starter systems usually being a pioneer or kicker setup and had good experiences, even my local audio installer shop recommended kicker to me for good quality on a budget. My first system is actually a 10 inch kicker. And it sounds decent. But comparable to what? I haven't been in many systems so I wouldn't know a great example to compare to.

I get on here and see what I would consider 'pros' and tell me they'd never run a kicker in their vehicle.

So what's the deal with kicker?

Your speaking to a bunch of people who want/need the extremes in bass for competeing.

Kicker nowadays cannot keep up with the companies looking to market the competition stuff.

Kicker is only good for people just wanting a sub and hear bass.

Which to sum up, this is why nobody here will recommend it as most compete or just like loud bass.

Your speaking to a bunch of people who want/need the extremes in bass for competeing.
Kicker nowadays cannot keep up with the companies looking to market the competition stuff.

Kicker is only good for people just wanting a sub and hear bass.

Which to sum up, this is why nobody here will recommend it as most compete or just like loud bass.
And i thought my kicker sounded 'loud'. I guess that's what I meant by not being able to compare to.

Nothing if you just want consumer level bass. Its just the kids that think their CVRS or L7s are the baddest subs on the block that get annoying. Sometimes we also feel bad when someone wants the best bang for their budget but buys a 350 dollar L7 thinking its a 350 dollar sub when there's actual 350 dollar subs that are built much better and get much louder and lower without the need to build a horribly oversized enclosure that those square subs need.

In the end you are just paying for a name with kicker, just like those kids using beats by dre head phones.

However, their amps are a different story, much better reception with those guys that like running at 2 ohms.

All my friends have talked about their starter systems usually being a pioneer or kicker setup and had good experiences, even my local audio installer shop recommended kicker to me for good quality on a budget. My first system is actually a 10 inch kicker. And it sounds decent. But comparable to what? I haven't been in many systems so I wouldn't know a great example to compare to.
I get on here and see what I would consider 'pros' and tell me they'd never run a kicker in their vehicle.

So what's the deal with kicker?
The only thing really wrong with them is they are almost always wayyy over priced.

Like you said, and most have started with it. My first system was 2 kicker comp 12's and they worked for me.. I picked them up at best buy on sale for $50 a pop ran it on a cheap $100 JL Amp.. Built a box at school.. Sold the system a year later for more than I paid for it new.. Do whatcha can. It got me sparked on system and just like anyone else on this forum, what you have is never enough.. But like said above for $350 you can get something that can take twice, if not more, than the power of a kicker and is built a hella lot better.

For starters though it's worth it.. For some they are completely content with it, however people around here are not and want much more, and will never recommend it to anyone lol.

Most have bad durability and bad sound quality, they can get loud though.

Most people here hate on Kicker and are dead set against their subs but unless you're a hobbyist and really into car audio, you will love the kicker subs as long as you get enough of them to be loud enough for you.

I think most subs no matter the price or brand can be at least decent if you put them in a box that is built to the sub's specs. I would def not get a Kicker pre-fabricated box. I would either build one yourself or have one built for you.

My first setup was a kicker CVR 12 in a custom built ported box (i think 2 cubes) ported and tuned to 33hz with a kicker 400.1 in my 86 F150. Then an L7 on a hifonics 1500.

Then I moved on to 2 AQ HDC3s on an AQ3500 and never looked back. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.