What's With "kids" Nowdays?

Mark_ab
5,000+ posts

The Alpha Male
Now, don't get all worked up or anything, it's just a simple question, and an opinion on my part. I'm not some old man either, 20, actually. What is with all these kids (I realize this is a stereotype, but it is somewhat well founded) wanting the world to hear their rides from "two blocks away" and other things of this nature? Another phenomenon I don't particularly understand is people who put huge banners across their cars. The one I see most often is Kenwood. I can understand if they are sponsers, but I think it's safe to say that most are not. I can't think of many better ways to advertise your car to get keyed (loud music) or broken into (banners and loud music). I understand that when you have a good stereo, you want to show it off. Hell, I'm guilty of this as well. But I think the cons definately overway the pro's in this case. Just a thought. Don't tar and feather me!

Nope. Gonna agree with you this time.......

I think that it all comes down to a lower maturity level that many kids today have. This, and inexperience; simply wanting a loud car to turn heads. When in reality, if they need the "boom" to turn heads; they kinda have a bit of a character problem.

Basic Psychology describes this as nothing more that mere "P*nis Envy."

You are 100% correct about the decals as well. Nothing advertises "steal me" better. While it causes no real inconvenience to the rest of the world, those who apply the decals to thier cars have no room to complain if and when thier car gets broke into. This is one area that I am guilty of also, however, I frequently show my cars, and am well aware of the security risks associated. When done tastefully, decals can add a lot to a vehicle as well, so often times, styling over rules good judgement.

take it easy,

-zane

I agree. I also have another question. What is the deal with everyone wanting their car to sound like a lawn mower ? The big exhaust thing is starting to get a little old.

Originally posted by mr.cableboi lol one thing to add its not just young kids...i have caught older people doing meaning 21-45
Ummm... err... then there's those of us over 50 heh heh

Yup, the stickers just say "Steal me".

And the coffee can exhaust I just don't understand. Then again, in my day it was 396's and cherry bomb mufflers, and Harley's with open pipes. I think making noise and being obnoxious is a Testosterone thing. Some of us outgrow it, some don't //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A popular misconception...

I am an 18 year old student with a "rice rocket"....I have a loud stereo of which i dont care if anyone hears aside from myself... i have headers/induction/exhaust on my car (doesnt sound like a mower though) making it very loud when i accelerate hard. It seems like you guys think i make my car sound sporty to impress the passerby, which is untrue. The truth of the matter is, you will never have a sporty car that is fun to drive and most importantly affordable without modifying the exhaust system due to the effect it has on your engines powerband. The exhaust that came with your car is very restrictive making the lower RPM's produce unnecessary power... By adding these "lawn mower" exhausts to your car, you are actually moving the power band into the upper RPM's, thus producing more power in a racing situation... im not promoting kids racing or even adults for that matter, but the fact of the matter is.... you cant have performance without the "lawn mower" sound. I am aware that there are those who think it sounds cool, but its no reason to ascertain that its everybody's motive...Besides when you guys were younger, kids were driving around with mustangs that had 302's and 350 camaros and hell even some 454's im sure, which are just as loud as any "lawn mower" car. Its hypocritical to say that we are trying to turn heads, when your generation did the same thing, you simply grew out of it...

As far as the decals go, i think it looks stupid, especially if you put the decal of a stereo company on your car or even a high performance part.... these are the people that become targets for theft (never park at the movie theaters). At the same time though you must ask yourself this : How does it affect me? The answer is it doesn't unless it says something offensive.

Your point is valid and your rights are being violated whenever someone wakes you up at 2 am with a blaring system, but if it bothers you that a kid feels cool because they have the loudest stereo then you have some issues.

Lets get back to the car audio stuff eh?

Originally posted by mr.cableboi lol one thing to add its not just young kids...i have caught older people doing meaning 21-45

From original post:

"What is with all these kids (I realize this is a stereotype, but it is somewhat well founded) wanting the world to hear their rides from "two blocks away" and other things of this nature?"

I know a few grown men who do the same thing, which is why I pointed out the fact that it was actually a stereotype, and not, in reality, restrictive only to teens. Regardless, I'm sure when you hear a car before you see it, most people assume it's "those darned kids and their rap music!". //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

This is a very interesting thread! I have been a car audio enthusisast ever since i got the keys to my first ride, a '72 ford pickup. Well since then i have always had some sort of sound system in my vehicle. Now I am 26 and indeed i have outgrown the showing off of my sound system compared to when I was 16 and didn't care who liked my very imposing tune coming down the road. I still have a decent system but I have become very mindful of my hearing for one and the consideration to others that maybe they do not care to hear their door panels rattle right along with mine. LOL

I find myself turning the old volume down ,especially in town. But still on occasion traveling down the old highways or some backroads i still enjoy cranking the volume and hearing some of those familiar bass tunes that used to make heads turn.

Just some thoughts

Thanks

Mike

i have been into car audio for a few years now. i never gave a **** if any one but me could hear the music i so happily cranked.

but when i was (or am) in a resedintial area i turn it down to a volume that only makes the trunk rattle.

these **** kids go all over any town or city at 1 and 2 in the fukin morning waking the whole place up.

i must admit im a new father (a beautiful thing) and live in a small trailer park.

there are lots of older people in the park mostly retired so i always keep it down (respect)

but there has recently been a kid show up in a sad excuse for a suped up chev s10 that drives around the park at night with it justa poundin

my final thought keep it loud but know where u r at the time

jvc elcamilian (deck)

kenwood 1000 watt amp

2 12" subs

**** for highs and mids

to JMPisGOD, while your right about the effect of free flowing exhaust, your wrong about the sound. flowmaster, thrush, dynamax, ALL make free flowing exhaust that ISN"T loud. it's just not as cool! i have flowmaster under my rig and when the need (or urge) arises my 360ci's sound way BETTER than any mickey mouse import with a coffee can. can i beat u in a race? do i get better gas mileage? no, but let me pull that funky little lever on the floor into 4wd and see if you still have a import!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif mostly i'm messin with ya, i want to coffee can my wife's 626 w/ 2.5 v6, 5 speed and k&n breather. she won't let me!! oh yea, low end torque is where the real power lies!!

back to the subject........

i'm 30 years old with the mind of a 16 year old! i don't ever wanna grow up! HOWEVER, there is a time and a place for boomin and runnin. neither of these belong in any kind of residential area's. growing up in a larger city with a mom who was a cop, i learned respect early and often. our runnin was confined to the dragstrip (with the occasional stoplight showdown) and our boomin was left to downtown on main street. u left the street, u turned the stereo down.

it ain't just kids who are causing all the problems, but it is up to us "older, more mature" audiophiles to set a good example. if that don't work, and people don't take heed, it's going to get REAL hard to have a sound system and be able to enjoy it.

sorry bout the book!

yea, but any of those quiet exhausts, are no where near stock, my exhaust is only loud when i make it loud, stage II turbo exhaust systems are some good i hear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

sorry for going so far off topic

There truly is a time and a place for everything. Having gone from boom systems when I was 16 to street racing in a blown/nitroused mustang, and all kinds of other deviant behavior, if there is one thing I have learned is be smart, and you're less likely to lose the ability to do the stuff you love. People are a lot less understanding when you are tearing up their neighborhood with speed or sound... and the more people you piss off, the more people that will be at those city council meetings to voice their support for tougher ordinances. If you keep it to the main drags (where people expect loud stereos and car racing) you're a lot less likely to incur the wrath of officer bob. It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Originally posted by JMPisGOD yea, but any of those quiet exhausts, are no where near stock, my exhaust is only loud when i make it loud, stage II turbo exhaust systems are some good i hear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

sorry for going so far off topic
exhaust? What stinkin exhaust? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Just dropped my Project car 2" closer to the ground and when I came back from test running it, the darn exhaust decided it didnt like my car anymore and stayed at the track.

I'll be darn! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D

the funniest things happen to me.....

Well, I'm off to go pick up the remains of the old exhaust as they should be a little cooler now. Bad part is, I have to walk about a mile to do it at the moment. No way in h*ll am I going to start that car without an exhaust at this hour! (2 am) For some reason, the sound of a completely unrestricted H.O. 302 rumbling, would likely cause a few neighbors to wake up sooner than they wanted. :p

At least it is a nice night for a walk though-

take it easy,

-zane

Originally posted by MxRacerCam There truly is a time and a place for everything. Having gone from boom systems when I was 16 to street racing in a blown/nitroused mustang, and all kinds of other deviant behavior...It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
...or a mustang!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.