whats the next forum boner? & a few questions for my fellow bassheads

Participant count
  • Participant list

dutchmaster
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
from apsm amps to tantric subs whats next? whats new? budget to high end, subwoofer to crossovers it really doesn't matter pro audio car audio just post it up. would like to learn about or see some new products.

the few questions i have are...

(dirt) cheap 150 db daily setups

best sounding front stage setup any price range or combination of speaker/tweeter/crossover/

best pair of subs (10-15") to handle 12k clamped. daily. lol.

active headunits that are idiot proof.

favorite processor / reasons why

maxwell caps being ran with batteries (12 banks 2.7v + 4 xs 7500) - how much amperage/wattage can that support being ran by a mechman 370a alt mulitple runs of ofc.

bandpass vs transmission vs sealed vs ported vs horn vs etc. (if you had to pick one) (and why)

favorite amplifier

favorite subwoofer

favorite woofer/speaker

favorite tweeter

price and use does not matter. just seeing what people love.

when did you first get into car audio?

first system. lol.

where do you see yourself one year from now (audio wise)

favorite setup you've ran weather it be sq spl sql

~dutchmaster

ugh, you must want us to write a book lol, my very first setup at 16 was in my 1980 monte carlo, I had a line converter on the factory 2 knob factory door and rear deck speakers and an old alpine 35w 2 ch. amp (black with the square green light) and a 15" realistic sub from radio shack in a huge box that I built out of partical board ( because at the time I thought it was mdf lmao ) sealed, didn't know about ports back then (1990) and I had to take out the passenger seat to get the box in, lmao oh the good old times ....

haha some people dont mind figure someone might be as bored as me and want to throw in some input. the old alpine amp still kickin around? wish i still had my first sub/amp ive ever owned. good old cvr in a sealed box on a jensen 500 watt 2 channel bridged at 1 ohm. no joke. lol. she got hot as hell kicked all day long tho. lent it to a friend and they fryed it..

my favorite old school setup was in my 91 Nissan hardbody, i had ID cd horns in the dash, some kicker mids in the doors ( when they used to be Stillwater designs ) 3 jl audio 12w3's when they first came out in 93', everything was run active on some ppi art series amps ( white with pink logoing ) and an alpine deck (can't remember the model but do remember they raped me for 550 for it )

(dirt) cheap 150 db daily setups

Hoffman's iron law sais that you can have good low extension, high efficiency, or small space, but only 2 at a time. Be prepared to give up bandwidth or space to see 150dB cheap.... of course cheap is very relative, and it'll be much easier if you want to see numbers on a meter to own a meter.... which in itself is 400$ and up so "cheap" perhaps isn't appropriate for the discussion

best sounding front stage setup any price range or combination of speaker/tweeter/crossover/

Completely dependent on install, correct processing and vehicle acoustics. Provided you don't buy anything with known and glaring problems, just about anything can be made to sound really nicely.

best pair of subs (10-15") to handle 12k clamped. daily. lol.

None. Clamp 5000W at 50hz to any of these 5KW rated woofers and start a clock. Then come back and LMK how the warranty pans out on melted voice coils. Some of the better premium priced companies may be able to afford to comp you a recone or two, but I think it's more likely they'll just say you were "clipping" and make you pay for repair/parts. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

active headunits that are idiot proof.

You're in the wrong hobby....

favorite processor / reasons why

Pioneer P99RS. Bad arse head unit with all the processing power you'll need. Replaces it's cost in outboard x-over/EQ/TA devices and does it all from the dash.

maxwell caps being ran with batteries (12 banks 2.7v + 4 xs 7500) - how much amperage/wattage can that support being ran by a mechman 370a alt mulitple runs of ofc.

Good luck with those. They're big bucks and capacitor banks big enough to really support high power amps are pretty dangerous. I'll stick to batteries.

bandpass vs transmission vs sealed vs ported vs horn vs etc. (if you had to pick one) (and why)

for what application?

favorite amplifier

Frank Amp'n Stein .... because I really like the name.

favorite subwoofer

Shocker Neo

favorite woofer/speaker

Really impressed with the Anarchy mids. They're really beast

favorite tweeter

All the ones I've really liked over the years aren't in production anymore. I'm really glad I'm not tweeter shopping today since the only ones I really like the looks of are large-format or ribbon.

when did you first get into car audio?

Later half of the 80's

first system. lol.

Jenson "200W" amp on pair of Ultimate 12's (Ultimate made some decent woofers at the time.... wonder what happened to them?) Can't remember what I had for fronts, but Punch 45 and fronts were the next additions (I'm thinking Polk....back when they were good).

where do you see yourself one year from now (audio wise)

I'm really happy now, not sure if I'm going to mess with anything. Probably going to less competitions though... some brutal drives for me this year.

favorite setup you've ran weather it be sq spl sql

Current, though I've really enjoyed almost everything along the way.

i wish i never got rid of the horns lol, now i am in the middle of getting back into it(after many years running stock radios), i have an 80prs, getting ready to install ID Q450.4 and xs 65 comp. set, an eclipse DA 7232 for my IDMAX 12'', i will post a build thread once i finish it. then i will be working on my jeep (the other is wife's) will be doing a AQ3500D with 2 HDC4 18's, SQ 120.4 with SQ pro audio mids and tweets, and not sure on the h/u yet but i will have 2 extra batt. and an upgraded alt.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.
HOLY SHIT THIS. Times a hundred million thousand.

favorite woofer/speakerReally impressed with the Anarchy mids. They're really beast
Also this. They are awesome!

ive never totally understand what some subwoofers can really take. i was throwing 4.5k clamped daily at a dd 9515 with no ss filter decaf all day with no problems. ive never setup an active system and was told it was hard to do. definitely going to be doing some research figured id find something idiot proof and easy to setup. also love all prs pieces. (application - daily vehicle.) nice favorites. ive never heard a pair of anarchy but ive held some and they are **** hefty for there size. i could only imagine back in the day paying a dollar a watt. must have been fun not having internet and going throught trial and error. lol. amp wise i thought you were going to say jbl 6000 gti. that amp is so beast. very jelly. thanks for the reply man.

they never pop up on forums so good luck finding a pair. i dont think anyone makes a new school version of those. (would the be considered old school?) either way, sounds like a pretty beastly setup. deff throw up a build log. what are you going to do box wise? 4th orders have blown up. dont think hdc3/hdc4 like sealed tho. maybe 6th order? or even a horn would be sweet. also if anyone can chime in are the prs series plauged with the pico fuse ground noise issue? ive seen alot installed in sq/spl setups. love the look. would love to own one or even an 880

HDC4's for sure, it will be a 12 cube ported, i did find some horns but 700 for the pair ugh, woofers facing up port back in a 91 Cherokee should hopefully sound good, back when i didn't care about cutting stuff up i would just cut the dash and mount the horns in the defroster areas facing the windshield but not i don't care to go thru that, if i did it would be on a show car were everything would be cut up and tailored.

ive never totally understand what some subwoofers can really take. i was throwing 4.5k clamped daily at a dd 9515 with no ss filter decaf all day with no problems. ive never setup an active system and was told it was hard to do. definitely going to be doing some research figured id find something idiot proof and easy to setup. also love all prs pieces. (application - daily vehicle.) nice favorites. ive never heard a pair of anarchy but ive held some and they are **** hefty for there size. i could only imagine back in the day paying a dollar a watt. must have been fun not having internet and going throught trial and error. lol. amp wise i thought you were going to say jbl 6000 gti. that amp is so beast. very jelly. thanks for the reply man.
A6000GTi is an awesome amp, favorite I've ever used for sure, but I have a special nostalgia place for the old limited edition PG amps. They were the pages that stuck together in the car audio magazines back in the day... and come on, Frank-amp'n stein? I lol just saying it.

Running a 4K amp to a sub playing music doesn't = 4000W continuous power handling. DD95XX uses a rather small 3" coil and it's true long-term thermal limits are far below 4KW.

Any processing worth owning/using is NOT going to be plug and play. It'll take tons of testing and tweaking to get it right. Most important IMO is proper deadening treatments in doors/kicks/etc. and position/location of components. Much time and testing is required to really get realistic imaging and sound stage. Equipment choice is not terribly important IMO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.