Whats the best 4" comp

Craze_sniper
10+ year member

Master Car Audio Nooblet
Ohio
i was thinking about kicker ks40, is there anything better?

Speaker Features:

4" KS Series Car Speakers

Power Handling:

Peak: 120 watts per pair / 60 watts each

RMS: 60 watts per pair / 30 watts each

Injection molded polypropylene cone woofer

Santoprene surround

1/2" Balanced dome PEN tweeter

Neodymium magnet with ferrofluid

4 ohms impedance

Mounting depth: 1-13/16"

only thing about that route is that he'll need to invest more in tweeters that can play pretty darn low and be running active. (or go into passive xover design which is a pain the bunghole)
for those mids you only need a tweeter that can play to the lowest 3khz... that's not that low at all really, the cheap dayton neos can play that low just fine. Now running active might be difficult but it's not to hard to find a passive crossover with a C/O point in the 3-4khz range

for those mids you only need a tweeter that can play to the lowest 3khz... that's not that low at all really, the cheap dayton neos can play that low just fine. Now running active might be difficult but it's not to hard to find a passive crossover with a C/O point in the 3-4khz range
look at the impedance plot of it though. At about 1khz its starts to shoot up like crazy! so unless youre active, simply running any passive to it will not work as the impedance will affect the xover. Even active, its kind of crazy to try and predict how well that woofer will do up high with that metal cone, it might start resonating like crazy and then generally metal cones have some break up if you run them too high

look at the impedance plot of it though. At about 1khz its starts to shoot up like crazy! so unless youre active, simply running any passive to it will not work as the impedance will affect the xover. Even active, its kind of crazy to try and predict how well that woofer will do up high with that metal cone, it might start resonating like crazy and then generally metal cones have some break up if you run them too high
the nano neos project on partsexpress has them crossed over at ~3.5khz and it has tons of positive results and if you look at the impedance plot again it does increase significantly until 3khz is where it starts jumping so cross around there and you'd be fine anyway and yea there appears to be metal cone break up but you know how few people actually notice it until it's really bad... these don't get bad until about 5khz. I'm just giving another option if he doesn't want to make 6.5's fit. I agree that is the best option but if he wants to make 4's fit those Daytons will out perform most especially for the price of them.

the nano neos project on partsexpress has them crossed over at ~3.5khz and it has tons of positive results and if you look at the impedance plot again it does increase significantly until 3khz is where it starts jumping so cross around there and you'd be fine anyway and yea there appears to be metal cone break up but you know how few people actually notice it until it's really bad... these don't get bad until about 5khz. I'm just giving another option if he doesn't want to make 6.5's fit. I agree that is the best option but if he wants to make 4's fit those Daytons will out perform most especially for the price of them.
I agree with u definitely (he could also try a Zobel Network and see if that works out) , I was thinking of running those at one time, the vids on youtube of them show some pretty nice midbass from them too. I'm gonna have to check out that Nano Neos Project though bro, should be interesting.

I agree with u definitely, I was thinking of running those at one time, the vids on youtube of them show some pretty nice midbass from them too. I'm gonna have to check out that Nano Neos Project though bro, should be interesting.
yea I've been wanting to do that project for awhile but I've been waiting for one of those awesome partsexpress sales they do a couple times a year...

yea I've been wanting to do that project for awhile but I've been waiting for one of those awesome partsexpress sales they do a couple times a year...
same boat dude. soon as it hits I think I'm going to grab a few things, I remember getting an email that that driver was down to like $11 each at one time (or was that the ND140?) either way, I think I'm gonna run some as rear fill in my car and also try something in my room with them when another sale comes around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.