What's so bad about Maaco paint jobs?

DIPayton

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Aug 6, 2005
From NY... livin in Canada
I never had one and I do not know of anyone who went there. But I love the price of a Maaco price paint job lol. I would definetly pay more if neccesary. I plan on keeping the car for 2 years and live where there can be snow and some other weather issues that could have an effect on the paint. Will my car look new after they are done with it?

What problems should I expect with a Maaco paint job? what do they do wrong? what usually goes bad with it? Will my car still look nice 2 years from now when I go to sell it or am I looking at painting it again? My car is read now and I am looking to get it painted a nice black... so it will be a completly different color... But why do I see so many negative comments about Maaco's work? Let me know...

JimJ

Tangled Up in Blue
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NC
Because they take shortcuts; you get what you pay for.

Sure, it'll look good - for six months to a year //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

DIPayton

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Aug 6, 2005
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hmm... how bad would it look after around a year? Would it look like the car was beat up, paint chips and paint falling off kind of bad? I just do not know what actually goes wrong and if I should do it to get me through 2 years. It would be hard to pay for a top quality paint job on a car that I will only keep for 2 years.

Eugenics

Princess
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jul 20, 2005
Arbys
honestly there not that bad. the problem is like stated before they take shortcuts. they wont mask for shit. make sure they use a good clear and you should be alright... assuming you mask it yourself or something

DIPayton

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Aug 6, 2005
So why paint it if you're only keeping it for two years? Just to get resale value?
Right now the paint is in rough shape. I have done a lot of work to the car already (interior/some mechanical work). Bought the car for $1,100 about 5 months ago. Just last night I was already offered $4,200 for the car. I figure with a paint job and a little bit of body work I can get $5,000 out of the car. I want to keep it for two years just because I actually fell in love with the car. It is my favorite car I ever owned and a huge deal for what I paid for it. I put in hours of work on it and want to keep it around 2 years. I also want a fresh paint job now, so I can make the outside as clean looking as the rest of the car

JimJ

Tangled Up in Blue
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NC
If you're being offered $4,200 - you're not going to come out ahead by much if you get $5,000 for it. Especially if anything else happens in the meantime...something could go wrong, and you'd be comparatively in the hole.

I would take the money and run //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

SSS 18734

Dollar Menu Millionaire
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Mar 4, 2005
Kansas City, MO
I paid $300 for macco to re-paint my hood, roof, and right quarter panel because they had some severe sub damage on them. I went with their single stage polyurethane paint, and it looks nice, but the shade is a tiny bit off. Although it took me forever to clean off the overspray on my rims and winshield wipers. Definitely better out there, but if your looking for a cheap solution it would work fine.

I dont know how long it will last, but their single stage paint is guarunteed to stay intact and glossy for 4 years.

theCybe

sector three
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Dec 1, 2004
Columbus, OH
****, they couldn't even throw a trashbag over your rims? Yikes.

depends on the painter and how much u payin. most of there paint jobs look like finger nail polish.

OnYrMrk

Superstition is bad luck
10+ year member
Jul 27, 2005
Moore, Ok
Maaco painted my taurus and painted over the trim plastics, but other than that, they didn't do all that bad of a job.

Maaco is great with solid colors, but metallics and pearls give them the biggest problems. If your car has a metallic color, I would second think my decision to go to Maaco.

SSS 18734

Dollar Menu Millionaire
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Mar 4, 2005
Kansas City, MO

The hood was matched to the rest of the car at Maaco. it was a slight shade off, but matched pretty well and looks nicer than the 17 year old factory paint. '88 was the first year Ford put a clear coat on their fleet of vehicles, so it has had some issues staying on the car that long. It's single stage polyurethane by the way.

QuikSilverRS91

Bo Duke
10+ year member
Feb 11, 2004
Wichita, KS
I had my 91 Camaro painted at Maaco (the guy I bought it off of had it painted 2 weeks before I bought it actually) and I was actually impressed with the work.

Their paintjobs are definitely not show quality, but for a small amount of money you get a pretty good amount of quality. My paintjob was tough, didn't scratch easily, and actually looked very nice. The only problem with the paintjob was a little bit of overspray on my weather stripping.

I wouldn't advise changing the color of the car, Maaco certainly doesn't have the skill for that... but if you were going to repaint it the same color then go for it.

DIPayton

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Aug 6, 2005
well I am looking to paint the car a new color. From a weird red (almost burgandy) to black. It is a cheap car and I only need it for two years. So would Maaco be a wise choice or should I seriously consider spending big $$$?

Ignatowski

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Mar 24, 2005
Dirty South
depends on WHO is doing the car -

it helps to ask to meet the fella doing YOUR car,and flip him a Fiddy,he will do the right thing for ya -

DIPayton

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Aug 6, 2005
well I am going to take my car down there and talk to them. I know nothing about paints and such.. I'm just going to ask to see some of their work and see if they can prove they know what they're doing. I guess I shouldn't be in a rush to paint my car and make the wrong move. I might check other places around my area.

BTW, does Maaco do body work or just paint? I've never even been there and only know of people who go there for touch up paint work... can they take care of small rust patches?

bigwheel15

Ooh Yeah!!
10+ year member
Jan 13, 2004
Fort Worth,Texas
Maaco does body work, sure. If you pay for it they certainly will. Their paint jobs arent bad, actually pretty good as long as you dont go for their cheapest work(their $199 dollar job or whatever it is). Whats bad about those are they dont do any work like sand it down, tape off trim or chrome or paint under the hood, door jams, little inconspicuous areas that really make or break a good paint job.

Im sure if you ask them they will take care of some small rust, hell, you could do it yourself if your going to be getting it painted anyways.

Paint is an area you do not want to skimp on. Doing some of the work yourself will lower the end price but unless you know what your getting into its just going to make it more work for the painter. Shop around, get to know afew places and the work they do, then expect to spend some cash to get a good quality paint job.

QuikSilverRS91

Bo Duke
10+ year member
Feb 11, 2004
Wichita, KS
The amount of money required for a GOOD color change will not be worth the resale value 2 years from now. Maaco doesn't paint door jams or under the hood or anything (like bigwheel said). Imagine... your car is black.... you open the freshly painted door... and you have this nice ring of ugly red surrounding your entry into the car. Not to appealing is it?

Save the money unless you realllly want the black exterior (resale value is actually lowered in many cases when you change the color of the car and its done shitty).

chosen1

monster maker
10+ year member
Mar 21, 2005
chicago
give the guy a tip before hand and keep the same color and it will be fine for a couple of years. make sure to tell him that you want the stickers off because they will paint right over your decals

p.s. take the 4500 and run buddy youll only be getting an extra 200 if you paint and sell for 5000

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds