What's so bad about Maaco paint jobs?

DIPayton
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I never had one and I do not know of anyone who went there. But I love the price of a Maaco price paint job lol. I would definetly pay more if neccesary. I plan on keeping the car for 2 years and live where there can be snow and some other weather issues that could have an effect on the paint. Will my car look new after they are done with it?

What problems should I expect with a Maaco paint job? what do they do wrong? what usually goes bad with it? Will my car still look nice 2 years from now when I go to sell it or am I looking at painting it again? My car is read now and I am looking to get it painted a nice black... so it will be a completly different color... But why do I see so many negative comments about Maaco's work? Let me know...

Because they take shortcuts; you get what you pay for.

Sure, it'll look good - for six months to a year //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hmm... how bad would it look after around a year? Would it look like the car was beat up, paint chips and paint falling off kind of bad? I just do not know what actually goes wrong and if I should do it to get me through 2 years. It would be hard to pay for a top quality paint job on a car that I will only keep for 2 years.

honestly there not that bad. the problem is like stated before they take shortcuts. they wont mask for ****. make sure they use a good clear and you should be alright... assuming you mask it yourself or something

So why paint it if you're only keeping it for two years? Just to get resale value?
Right now the paint is in rough shape. I have done a lot of work to the car already (interior/some mechanical work). Bought the car for $1,100 about 5 months ago. Just last night I was already offered $4,200 for the car. I figure with a paint job and a little bit of body work I can get $5,000 out of the car. I want to keep it for two years just because I actually fell in love with the car. It is my favorite car I ever owned and a huge deal for what I paid for it. I put in hours of work on it and want to keep it around 2 years. I also want a fresh paint job now, so I can make the outside as clean looking as the rest of the car

If you're being offered $4,200 - you're not going to come out ahead by much if you get $5,000 for it. Especially if anything else happens in the meantime...something could go wrong, and you'd be comparatively in the hole.

I would take the money and run //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I paid $300 for macco to re-paint my hood, roof, and right quarter panel because they had some severe sub damage on them. I went with their single stage polyurethane paint, and it looks nice, but the shade is a tiny bit off. Although it took me forever to clean off the overspray on my rims and winshield wipers. Definitely better out there, but if your looking for a cheap solution it would work fine.

I dont know how long it will last, but their single stage paint is guarunteed to stay intact and glossy for 4 years.

Maaco painted my taurus and painted over the trim plastics, but other than that, they didn't do all that bad of a job.

Maaco is great with solid colors, but metallics and pearls give them the biggest problems. If your car has a metallic color, I would second think my decision to go to Maaco.

The hood was matched to the rest of the car at Maaco. it was a slight shade off, but matched pretty well and looks nicer than the 17 year old factory paint. '88 was the first year Ford put a clear coat on their fleet of vehicles, so it has had some issues staying on the car that long. It's single stage polyurethane by the way.

I had my 91 Camaro painted at Maaco (the guy I bought it off of had it painted 2 weeks before I bought it actually) and I was actually impressed with the work.

Their paintjobs are definitely not show quality, but for a small amount of money you get a pretty good amount of quality. My paintjob was tough, didn't scratch easily, and actually looked very nice. The only problem with the paintjob was a little bit of overspray on my weather stripping.

I wouldn't advise changing the color of the car, Maaco certainly doesn't have the skill for that... but if you were going to repaint it the same color then go for it.

well I am looking to paint the car a new color. From a weird red (almost burgandy) to black. It is a cheap car and I only need it for two years. So would Maaco be a wise choice or should I seriously consider spending big $$$?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.