whats so bad about connecting 2 wires......

MopeDman
10+ year member

WINNIPEG
so...I installed more_spl's power wire and all that jazz............and his ground wasnt long enough.........so he had spare power wire...same gauge......and we used a connecter from the install kit and joined to 2 wires together for the ground...............now he is being a *** about and sayin its not good enough....when I think it is.........soo.....whats the big deal about this...........for the ground...........now i would understand if it was the power and doing this would lose some but the ground? please edjucate me..........

Wth a bad ground, the amp is not able to use it's full potential. More_spl has more_than enough reasons to be pissed.

A ground wire should be as short as possible, with no chance of an ohm buildup, and the same gauge as the power wire, preferably as large as the amp can handle.

Easy just replace the ground wire so no connector and all one color then hes happy. Basically its just a looks thing.

I have my amps ground going from a dist block to my batt ground because my systems in a truck with the amps and subs in the bed and I always had ground problems in the back so in my case it was best to run to the batt. Btw all in 1/0 ga. so it's cool

NP

well........the ground is as short as we could do....but his ground wire was still to short to go through his "amp rack" so we just extended it maybe 5 inches..... i dont see how it could be a problem....if its tight and taped up it should be fine for a ground.......on another car audio board people say its ok..........and it is the same gauge all the way around....

Well, even if a mere one or two copper strands aren't touching, you are losing flow and increasing resistance, therefore not giving you 100% of the amp's ability. My advice is to go and spend $2 on a 3 foot piece of wire, and connect it in a clean and orderly fashion.

Originally posted by Night Pirate Easy just replace the ground wire so no connector and all one color then hes happy. Basically its just a looks thing.

I have my amps ground going from a dist block to my batt ground because my systems in a truck with the amps and subs in the bed and I always had ground problems in the back so in my case it was best to run to the batt. Btw all in 1/0 ga. so it's cool

NP
runing your ground back to the battery is bad no matter what the gauge. BUT I guess you had to

mopedman, i wasn't being an ass about it, i was just stating the fact that one wire has better current flow and less resistence than 2 wires connected. i never put you down or any, and as iv've told you, this may be my first set-up, but thats no excuse not to do everything as good as possible. Peace

Why is running your ground back to the battery a bad thing? The only reason I can see is that the wire would be a bit long. Any other reason this is bad?

well a good car audio guy i talked to said that the connecter would only lose about .5 ohm resistance..... thats not much at all

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.